Two more Canon EF-M lenses have been discontinued

Easy: I attach my Sigma EF 10-20 f3.5 with an EF-RF adapter on my R7.

Let me guess again: Not small enough for YOUR needs! For me (and many others) it is.

Please don't make your personal problem to a general one.
So your solution to the lack of a compact lens is to use a non compact lens with an adapter? Genius. I never said there wasn't a way to get a Canon camera, I said they no longer have a complete compact system. You clearly have no idea what I'm talking about so suggest you stop arguing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I do realise Sony isn't the only other option, the point was just that Canon no longer have a complete compact system available to buy, which is an odd decision. Personally I'll be keeping my M6ii for a while. I tried a Sony and hated the interface so came back to Canon.

There's nothing wrong with complaining - if Canon are smart they'll read forums to find out what people are thinking.
In truth, if you look at all the brands, none of us are likely to find *any* of them offering exactly what we want. Cameras are constantly evolving. Lens ranges are constantly expanding. We just have to be patient, and if our patience wears thin, we have to look around and see if there are alternatives better suited to our needs.

As for complaining, I doubt if Canon market researchers bother to read forums directly. They'll be relying much more on feedback from reviewers (although the latter will pick up a lot of feedback from forums themselves). What we do here on CR and elsewhere, largely consists of publicising our personal wish-lists, hoping that others feel likewise, and hoping that the grapevine implants our desires in the minds of the manufacturers.

Complaining (or better still, well phrased constructive criticism) may work, but don't expect rapid results ;)

Upvote 0
In truth, if you look at all the brands, none of us are likely to find *any* of them offering exactly what we want
It's funny because they were doing pretty well exactly what I wanted. If they took the whole M range and made it RF mount they still would be. It would be nice to have higher end options in the compact range, but right now just having a compact range back would be a win.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So your solution to the lack of a compact lens is to use a non compact lens with an adapter? Genius. I never said there wasn't a way to get a Canon camera, I said they no longer have a complete compact system. You clearly have no idea what I'm talking about so suggest you stop arguing.
I'm sorry. I only try to help with giving you alternatives. Ironically Sony, Nikon and fuji also won't have the complete compact system you are dreaming of. So, why do you blame Canon or me?

Upvote 0
What we do here on CR and elsewhere, largely consists of publicising our personal wish-lists hoping that others feel likewise, and hoping that the grapevine implants our desires in the minds of the manufacturers.
…and claiming they represent the desire of the majority of the market and that if Canon fails to fulfill them they are d00med.

At least in some cases.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm sorry. I only try to help with giving you alternatives. Ironically Sony, Nikon and fuji also won't have the complete compact system you are dreaming of. So, why do you blame Canon or me?
Well Canon did, and Sony does, and I'm not certain but pretty sure Fuji does. Canon clearly have plans to reintroduce the full range, I was simply pointing out that it was short sighted to discontinue one without fully introducing the other. All the misunderstanding has been on your end I'm afraid and you're not helping at all, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing without really making any useful point.

Upvote 0
Well Canon did, and Sony does, and I'm not certain but pretty sure Fuji does. Canon clearly have plans to reintroduce the full range, I was simply pointing out that it was short sighted to discontinue one without fully introducing the other. All the misunderstanding has been on your end I'm afraid and you're not helping at all, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing without really making any useful point.
Your initial statement was just wrong and I wasn't the first (or last) person telling you this!

Every lineup needs time to grow!
Do you really think supporting 2 different mounts with same purpose (and full lineup!) would be economically wise?

Upvote 0
Every lineup needs time to grow!
Do you really think supporting 2 different mounts with same purpose (and full lineup!) would be economically wise?
I really don't see much benefit for the consumer to having the same mount for full-frame and APS-C, except for the small number who know when they buy their first APS-C camera (because that's all they can afford) that they will be upgrading to a full-frame eventually, and don't care about having compact equipment, so they buy only lenses that will be suitable for use on a full-frame.

Upvote 0
I hope so but not a great start so far. Even shorter ranges and even darker apertures...
In possible defense of RF-S lenses being darker than their EF-M/EF-S counterparts, I think the idea is that the improved image processing capabilities will make up for it (i.e. you'll be able to use higher ISO levels with a commensurate increase in graininess). I would like to see a head to head comparison before I commit to that idea, though.

Upvote 0
I really don't see much benefit for the consumer to having the same mount for full-frame and APS-C, except for the small number who know when they buy their first APS-C camera (because that's all they can afford) that they will be upgrading to a full-frame eventually, and don't care about having compact equipment, so they buy only lenses that will be suitable for use on a full-frame.
It's not APS-C vs fullframe any more though, the RF lens range can include cheap but large lenses, and the compact system could easily include a full frame sensor as Sony has just demonstrated. The problem here is that Canon previously differentiated EF-S for non-technical reasons. I agree, as a consumer I would prefer they have a separate mount to enable smaller form factor cameras as RF mount limits this quite a lot.

Upvote 0
In possible defense of RF-S lenses being darker than their EF-M/EF-S counterparts, I think the idea is that the improved image processing capabilities will make up for it (i.e. you'll be able to use higher ISO levels with a commensurate increase in graininess). I would like to see a head to head comparison before I commit to that idea, though.

Maybe but the RF-S is the only system on the market where you cannot get a zoom lens starting at 24mm equivalent.

Upvote 0