Upcoming 2024 Canon RF lens recap

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
What I'm convinced of, is that the RF 35 f1,4 will even be better than the EF version. It's always been the case with RF replacements.
(I know, an f1,2 would even be better...)
Better may mean better IQ or better ergonomics or additional functions or a combination of those and other aspects.
I.e. the RF 100 macro has more functions (especially 1.4x) but not necessarily better IQ than the EF 100 macro.
The RF 50 and 85 1.2 have worse ergonomics (bigger and heavier) than the EF equivalents but better IQ.

For me, better IQ trumps other improvements. But as a trend, I can see that most of recent top EF L lenses have not been improved by much in terms of IQ by RF equivalents.

We will see what will happen with the 35mm. One issue is: if I wait to see serious reviews and comparisons to order it, I will likely have to wait till 2025 to receive it.

And I still want a 1.2 :mad:

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Well I have been hoping for f1.4 for each of these. I know it's not real yet until they announce, but wow what a lineup they will have. The part that is bothersome is if the 24mm is first and then the 35mm isn't until Q4, that means they have pushed the 35 back yet again.
I'm actually excited to see the 1.4's. If there is a significant reduction in size/weight, and better video performance, I will sell my 50 1.2.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Better may mean better IQ or better ergonomics or additional functions or a combination of those and other aspects.
I.e. the RF 100 macro has more functions (especially 1.4x) but not necessarily better IQ than the EF 100 macro.
The RF 50 and 85 1.2 have worse ergonomics (bigger and heavier) than the EF equivalents but better IQ.

For me, better IQ trumps other improvements. But as a trend, I can see that most of recent top EF L lenses have not been improved by much in terms of IQ by RF equivalents.

We will see what will happen with the 35mm. One issue is: if I wait to see serious reviews and comparisons to order it, I will likely have to wait till 2025 to receive it.

And I still want a 1.2 :mad:
In my experience, the RF 100 is 2 classes better than the EF variant. I have used both. At infinity, my two EFs were a huge disappointment, side sharpness was acceptable, nothing more. Macros were excellent. I quickly sold the first one, hoping for a better second, nada! Did I have bad luck twice, maybe. But Opticallimits seem to share my opinion.
The RF shines, both at macro and at infinity setting. Even at full aperture. A stunning lens.
(Please do not tell me macro lenses are only to be good for macros, the Leica R 60 macro and 100 Apo macro contradict this opinion). I just do not like having to carry two 100mm lenses, one for macros, the other one for landscapes. I'm happy now!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
What I'm convinced of, is that the RF 35 f1,4 will even be better than the EF version. It's always been the case with RF replacements.
(I know, an f1,2 would even be better...)
I hope so, but it is not always the case. Cue the RF 400 2.8 and 600 4.0, and by extension (literally) the RF 800 5.6 and 1200 8.0.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Would love to know a bit more about the gray market and where i can find deals
Since you are spelling gray the American way:
*Big warning about Abe's since gray market goods are not subject to warranty they try really hard to sell you a warranty.
If you do not mind buying one then that is no big deal but you need to factor that into the price.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
$10k lens right there with the size and weight of the 100-300mm f/2.8L, so market might be (even more) limited. Personally, I think a RF 200 f/2L IS with the same weight and price as the Sony 300/2.8 GM would be great.
I would not even consider a 200 f/2 if a 70-200 f/2 existed.
However, there is no reason to assume one ever will.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
In my experience, the RF 100 is 2 classes better than the EF variant. I have used both. At infinity, my two EFs were a huge disappointment, side sharpness was acceptable, nothing more. Macros were excellent. I quickly sold the first one, hoping for a better second, nada! Did I have bad luck twice, maybe. But Opticallimits seem to share my opinion.
The RF shines, both at macro and at infinity setting. Even at full aperture. A stunning lens.
(Please do not tell me macro lenses are only to be good for macros, the Leica R 60 macro and 100 Apo macro contradict this opinion). I just do not like having to carry two 100mm lenses, one for macros, the other one for landscapes. I'm happy now!
Not so much in my experience - my EF 100 2.8 macro IS was excellent. The RF 100 2.8 macro IS is excellent as well, I just don't see a lot of difference in pure IQ. It is true that most of the times I use it at short distances and prefer the RF 135 1.8 for distant subjects (I do take your point about bringing 1 lens). Then again my go to lens for that in EF was the 200 2 IS, I was quite the spoiled photographers :ROFLMAO:
In any case, I am not saying that the RF 100 macro is not good, on the contrary. Just that in pure IQ, for my experience, the difference with the EF 100 macro is small. I can see a large IQ difference between (say) the RF 85 1.2 and the EF 85 1.2 II, but that does not surprise me since the EF 100 macro was a modern design, the EF 85 1.2 was an older one

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
MY theory was it was some combination of cinema lens and photo lens.

maybe something like a RF 50mm F1.4L T1.7 frankensteinian monster child.

otherwise i couldn't really decide what a hybrid prime would be.
Could you explain if there are tradeoffs of making a lens "hybrid".For instance if they do make a "Z" 70-200 2.8, would it take objectively worse photos, or be less accurate for sports shooting? Or are there not tradeoffs like that.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Could you explain if there are tradeoffs of making a lens "hybrid".For instance if they do make a "Z" 70-200 2.8, would it take objectively worse photos, or be less accurate for sports shooting? Or are there not tradeoffs like that.
Judging by the 24-105/2.8, there is no optical tradeoff. Granted, there's no direct comparator like there would be with the 70-200/2.8, but the 24-105/2.8 is optically excellent. Rather the 'trade-offs' are in physical features that are of no/limited benefit for stills shooting. The 24-105/2.8 has an aperture ring that doesn't do anything for stills on current R-series cameras, but presumably will be usable on future cameras (Canon indicated 2024-). It's 'clickless' and I'm not sure why I'd need to set a still aperture to something like f/2.9463, and even it it rounds the actual setting I don't feel like I need another control ring (but someone might). Likewise, there are mounting features for the power zoom attachment – no use for stills and it's weird to see holes and exposed electronic contacts on my weather-sealed lens, but no real downside other than aesthetic.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
$10k lens right there with the size and weight of the 100-300mm f/2.8L, so market might be (even more) limited. Personally, I think a RF 200 f/2L IS with the same weight and price as the Sony 300/2.8 GM would be great.
RF200/2? Why not go all the way and recreate the EF200/1.8? I used one for years. Most mind blowing lens I've ever had!

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
The photo of 35mm is obviously taken from 35mm 1.4L II. They forgot to remove the II

Also I do not believe 50mm 1.4 will be an L since it will be very expensive and its price will be close to RF 50mm 1.2L It will also compete with it.
Some users simply don’t want f1.2 glass because its larger, heavier and more expensive. For them a 50mm f1.4 L would be ideal because its likely be lighter, smaller and less expensive. Should such a lens be released by Canon I suspect they’ll be rewarded with very healthy sales from those who refuse to buy the RF 50mm f1.2 L.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I can recommend Panamoz (UK). They ship fully legally to EEC countries, all custom duties and taxes are included in their sales prices. No added duties are to be paid by customer. Warranty is 3 years (none OEM), their reputation is excellent, and, if you have questions, they answer pretty quickly.
Or, if you are living in Italy, you could buy tax-free in Livigno. Caveat: if "crossin the "border" back to Italy ( I know, Livigno is also in Italy), you should pay VAT. Savings are sometimes purely theoretical, and vanish as soon as you honestly, as a good citizen, declare your lens to the customs when leaving the Livigno tax-free zone...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I can recommend Panamoz (UK). They ship fully legally to EEC countries, all custom duties and taxes are included in their sales prices. No added duties are to be paid by customer. Warranty is 3 years (none OEM), their reputation is excellent, and, if you have questions, they answer pretty quickly.
Or, if you are living in Italy, you could buy tax-free in Livigno. Caveat: if "crossin the "border" back to Italy ( I know, Livigno is also in Italy), you should pay VAT. Savings are sometimes purely theoretical, and vanish as soon as you honestly, as a good citizen, declare your lens to the customs when leaving the Livigno tax-free zone...
I bought an R7 through Panamoz last month and that was a great experience. No hidden fees and the HK->NL transit took about a week, with working tracking all the way.

Upvote 0
Since you are spelling gray the American way:
*Big warning about Abe's since gray market goods are not subject to warranty they try really hard to sell you a warranty.
If you do not mind buying one then that is no big deal but you need to factor that into the price.
haah thanks but nowhere near America hahha

• Haha
Upvote 0

I cannot see if Panamoz ships to my country since their payment method is before shipping address .... but according to their shipping page they don't ship to Albania ... although Albania is part of EEC countries .

And neither does e-infin :/ ... but i'll figure it out. Their prices for the RF 100mm 2.8 macro L are 600 euros cheaper then our official canon dealers here.

• Wow
Upvote 0
For reference the Nikon 58 mm f0.95 is a manual focus lens and sells for $8000 USD new. I believe that a RF 50 mm f 0.95 L lens would be closer to the Nikon price and likely cost significantly more than $2800. Personally, I would go with the 50 mm f1.2 at $2300 or even the upcoming 50 mm f1.4 and call it close enough.

if you want a fully manual 50mm 0.95, brightin star makes one and it sells under 400$ ... i got one recently and it's amazing ... it's fully metal and glass and weighs 0.8 kilos. Incredible built quality.

And it's available with RF mount , so no need for adapters. ... focus peaking on my R5 works for both photo and video

Upvote 0