Video is challenging - how to get started

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I suspect CR is filled with video experts and perhaps that makes it hard to understand my dilemma. I'm finding it very hard to wrap my head around the myriad of basic concepts in video. I know how to use my R5 to capture simple clips but I'd really like to learn how to edit and every thing else that leads to enjoyable video clips to share. I have Vegas Pro 18 but I need some really basic guidance - YouTube, books or whatever anyone can suggest.

In particular, I have an African Grey who is pretty talented and among the things he does is bob up and down and say, Go Go Oilers (any NHL fans out there) and I suspect that people would enjoy some of his activities if I could only learn how to edit. I'm retired and have some time but find most of what I encounter to be simply too advanced for a beginner. Help, please - suggestions??

Jack

Reactions: 1 user

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I’m only marginally ahead of you :) I learn best by doing, so I started simple with setting up a project and then exporting it. That took a lot more work and knowledge than I expected :) After that I looked for tutorials on how to use log footage and luts, how to stabilize in post and most recently, how to do multicam video.

At this point I feel confident enough to start looking up tutorials on how to actually edit video beyond dragging clips onto the timeline and hitting ‘export’!

But the biggest improvement so far has been using an external microphone, in my case the Rode Video Micro. I hadn’t realized how important audio was for video till I tried the external mic myself.

I hope other people chime in as well, since I’m in the same boat as you.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I’m only marginally ahead of you :) I learn best by doing, so I started simple with setting up a project and then exporting it. That took a lot more work and knowledge than I expected :) After that I looked for tutorials on how to use log footage and luts, how to stabilize in post and most recently, how to do multicam video.

At this point I feel confident enough to start looking up tutorials on how to actually edit video beyond dragging clips onto the timeline and hitting ‘export’!

But the biggest improvement so far has been using an external microphone, in my case the Rode Video Micro. I hadn’t realized how important audio was for video till I tried the external mic myself.

I hope other people chime in as well, since I’m in the same boat as you.
Thanks for the comments, which are encouraging (or maybe it's discouraging since you're do far ahead of me!). I struggle a bit with migraines and brain fog and sometimes I just can't seem to follow the videos.

Recently, I had a YouTube video on my right monitor and Vegas open on the left and was trying to do exactly what was being suggested and for some unknown reason I ended up not getting what was being shown, maybe I hit the wrong button or whatever and it's probably superficial but now in that moment I can't do what I'm supposed to. That's when I wish I could turn to someone and say HELP. I'm sure there is some point where things start to make sense but I haven't reached it.

Since I'm committed to Vegas 18 (unless that's a huge mistake and I must fork out $$$ for something else) can anyone suggest specific resource material, not just with that software but understanding basic terms and principles. For example I didn't even know that 4K60 was not automatically slow motion. Yep, that's how clueless I presently am.

At least now I have the R5 set up conveniently to switch from photo to video and am familiar with the R5 menus etc. thanks to this excellent treatment:

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I have found this video specifically for Vegas Pro that looks promising

but it would be helpful to have a source of information that is more general in getting to know technical terms and descriptions that can be confusing like codecs.

Also it appears Vegas Pro 18 will not open any R5 8K video and I found Canon free software Cinema RAW Development but don't understand what is happening - RAW is converted to something called .DPX which I can't open either and don't understand.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I have found this video specifically for Vegas Pro that looks promising

but it would be helpful to have a source of information that is more general in getting to know technical terms and descriptions that can be confusing like codecs.

Also it appears Vegas Pro 18 will not open any R5 8K video and I found Canon free software Cinema RAW Development but don't understand what is happening - RAW is converted to something called .DPX which I can't open either and don't understand.

Jack
This "beginner" video is exactly what scares me to death. I can't possibly begin with something like this. I guess I'm hopeless. :)>)

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
If your goal is to share some basic clips of your lovely parrot and you are an absolute beginner at video, I would dare say to start on a quality smart phone and then work your way up once you are comfortable. Professional NLE (Non-Linear Editor) software are way too powerful and complicated for the intended purpose unless if you are trying to create something like a YouTube channel for your pet.

I am versed in Premiere but I only use it for work projects. For family and friends sharing edited videos, the simplicity of workflow on a cell phone or tablet is hard to beat (no video dumping to drive, high hardware requirements for processing the 4k/8k video, precise color grading, LUT, export file aspect ratios and file codecs, etc etc).

Start by taking a handful of short clips on your phone, maybe around 10-20 seconds each and then use an app like InShot (free) to cut and splice together the highlight portions (very important, nobody wants to look at boring videos, less is more in this case), maybe add some royalty free background music through the app, and export as one clip around 20-30 seconds long.

Tutorial:

I do real-time capture and edit on outings, so capture around 10min worth of footage and edit it down to around 1 min on the fly as I capture. Process takes maybe 20 min or so to edit to my liking and then immediately share with friends.

Once you put out a dozen shorts and are comfortable with NLE concepts and processes then the Vegas Pro tutorial will be much less daunting.

Also, proper lighting and high quality captured content will beat a great edit anyday, so look into that once you are comfortable with basic video editing and sharing.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If your goal is to share some basic clips of your lovely parrot and you are an absolute beginner at video, I would dare say to start on a quality smart phone and then work your way up once you are comfortable. Professional NLE (Non-Linear Editor) software are way too powerful and complicated for the intended purpose unless if you are trying to create something like a YouTube channel for your pet.

I am versed in Premiere but I only use it for work projects. For family and friends sharing edited videos, the simplicity of workflow on a cell phone or tablet is hard to beat (no video dumping to drive, high hardware requirements for processing the 4k/8k video, precise color grading, LUT, export file aspect ratios and file codecs, etc etc).

Start by taking a handful of short clips on your phone, maybe around 10-20 seconds each and then use an app like InShot (free) to cut and splice together the highlight portions (very important, nobody wants to look at boring videos, less is more in this case), maybe add some royalty free background music through the app, and export as one clip around 20-30 seconds long.

Tutorial:

I do real-time capture and edit on outings, so capture around 10min worth of footage and edit it down to around 1 min on the fly as I capture. Process takes maybe 20 min or so to edit to my liking and then immediately share with friends.

Once you put out a dozen shorts and are comfortable with NLE concepts and processes then the Vegas Pro tutorial will be much less daunting.

Also, proper lighting and high quality captured content will beat a great edit anyday, so look into that once you are comfortable with basic video editing and sharing.
Thanks, I agree with your advice/observations, it's excellent. However, I am dedicated to using my R5 and, not knocking cell phones, am a fan of wildlife and want desperately to include video with my photography.

So, my goal is certainly higher than "family sharing cell phone clips" in the long term and of course that is an impediment to me immediately sharing parrot antics. I guess my problem is that I have grown substantially in photography and seen the results of serious involvement both shooting and editing and so I would like to include some video in that realm as well.

Now the question is this: do I have what it takes to achieve that? How do I get started down the more serious path - tedious/time consuming (and somewhat painful initially for sure) but that's my desire.

Of course, for a retired person it should be that time is no issue but as a very handy "jack of all trades" I can't seem to rid myself of unfinished "business" but I'm working at that very hard.

So, what I was hoping for was some guidance from someone who remembers exactly what the best introductory information is so that I don't swim around drowning in a massive amount of advanced information that isn't conducive to progress. Like, "here's a link that is the best first step and not too advanced so as to discourage". Maybe that's unrealistic and I just have to "sweat" it out.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
In case anyone else has similar aspirations to mine I guess an obvious resource I didn't think of is the Vegas Pro 18 User manual, which will give that added familiarity with the layout and buttons and functions. I'll be working on that before I tackle any more "beginner" videos. :) Sweat is inevitable.

Jack

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In case anyone else has similar aspirations to mine I guess an obvious resource I didn't think of is the Vegas Pro 18 User manual, which will give that added familiarity with the layout and buttons and functions. I'll be working on that before I tackle any more "beginner" videos. :) Sweat is inevitable.

Jack
There is no end to the amount you can spend. I gave up long ago any idea of making serious videos, I just kept spending tons of money only to find I needed more stuff.

So, limit yourself to the basic few things.

Good lighting and good sound are critical first items. A solid support that does not vibrate. Video tripods are a lot stouter than ones for still cameras. video tripod heads are very expensive or merely expensive. You want one that can pan smoothly with no jerking.

You can get free top of the line software, there is a free version of Davinci Resolve that I've used to edit clips from my R5. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/edit

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Having worked in both photography and video, I can attest that even though they both deal with image capture, the skill sets necessary for video are dramatically different than editing still images.
I certainly would also not start with 8k raw footage as the layers of added complexity is not conducive to learning NLE at all.

If you are serious about it I would recommend you do hands on coursework with live in person instruction.
Adobe has set things up such that you can take courses at your local community college.

At a glance it doesn't appear that Vegas has the reach in educational tie-in and accreditation. From what I could gather overall Vegas NLE marketshare is around 1%, hence the more limited learning support.

I am of the opinion that one should be able to walk before learning to run, but it certainly does not prevent anyone from trying to run from the get go. As long as you have the tenacity for it, sweating it out till you can make it can be achievable.

Upvote 0

Monte

EOS R3
CR Pro
Jul 7, 2013
ALBERTA, CANADA
I’m in the same boat. Want too, but haven’t figured out the editing or the camera settings fully. Maybe just start with FullHD or 4K for now and preset the colour balance, “shade” etc just like stills so that the video is close in colour already and doesn’t need much editing on that part and just play with clip placements/trimming etc?
Maybe the software you are using can’t work with Canon’s RAW footage.
Again, I know nothing either, but have watched hundreds of YouTube videos on this stuff. Right now I just import the clip from my R3 to my iPhone and trim it there. I’ve never stitched two or more together.
Following to see what I can learn.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
There is no end to the amount you can spend. I gave up long ago any idea of making serious videos, I just kept spending tons of money only to find I needed more stuff.

So, limit yourself to the basic few things.

Good lighting and good sound are critical first items. A solid support that does not vibrate. Video tripods are a lot stouter than ones for still cameras. video tripod heads are very expensive or merely expensive. You want one that can pan smoothly with no jerking.

You can get free top of the line software, there is a free version of Davinci Resolve that I've used to edit clips from my R5. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/edit
Thanks for this. I understand what you're saying and I won't be spending like that. Is it reasonable to assume that the Canon IS is going to help if the tripod is not a beast? I probably wouldn't be doing too much indoors - mostly wildlife and travel footage. I expect a mic is going to be a given.

I have the Zhiyun Crane 2 but I last used it with the 1DX2 and must get it out. It seemed quite good for walk around use but I never edited the shots I took on holidays to really see if they were truly acceptable. I used 4K 60 to get stills of the Costa Rica Quetzal approaching a nest with 800mm and that was indeed challenging with a flimsy tripod but I can't imagine travelling with a video tripod. Too high ISO in a rain forest but I suspect the R5 would be a game changer with eye focus.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I’m in the same boat. Want too, but haven’t figured out the editing or the camera settings fully. Maybe just start with FullHD or 4K for now and preset the colour balance, “shade” etc just like stills so that the video is close in colour already and doesn’t need much editing on that part and just play with clip placements/trimming etc?
Maybe the software you are using can’t work with Canon’s RAW footage.
Again, I know nothing either, but have watched hundreds of YouTube videos on this stuff. Right now I just import the clip from my R3 to my iPhone and trim it there. I’ve never stitched two or more together.
Following to see what I can learn.
Misery loves company. Vegas Pro will not handle 8k RAW and that's another step of conversion that I have yet to tackle. You can use the proxy file that comes off the SD card though if 8K is being used as future proofing.

There may not be too many of us video beginners on CR given its focus on photography. My main reason for this thread is to get advice that will hopefully keep me on track a bit. It takes time to learn but it helps if someone can guide the process to avoid unnecessary side tracks. I already spent the money on Vegas Pro and it seems it's reasonably good so for now that's where my efforts will be directed. Apparently version 18 can be had for quite cheap now.

Another question I have is regarding the free Canon Cinema RAW - it converts to a format that Vegas won't seem to import?? Maybe it's just clueless me.

Maybe we can keep this thread active and share useful links or learning experiences over time??

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Guess i am behind all of you in case of Filming, i do not remember taking videos in about 12 years of digital photography. Only this christmas i made some clips from family and at once realized several things: it is very helpful to use a stabilzed zoom (EF 16-35/4 IS), the flippy-screen (which i never used) is great and avoid C-log, if you do not have for instance Premiere Pro. Then i tried to make videos with my EF 100-400Mk II & 1.4 TC - forget it without a tripod. Video is indeed funny, but i am uncertain to move in this field - especially when it is about birding, video-tripods are obviously more expensive than normal ones. And i am pretty sure, that you need one.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Guess i am behind all of you in case of Filming, i do not remember taking videos in about 12 years of digital photography. Only this christmas i made some clips from family and at once realized several things: it is very helpful to use a stabilzed zoom (EF 16-35/4 IS), the flippy-screen (which i never used) is great and avoid C-log, if you do not have for instance Premiere Pro. Then i tried to make videos with my EF 100-400Mk II & 1.4 TC - forget it without a tripod. Video is indeed funny, but i am uncertain to move in this field - especially when it is about birding, video-tripods are obviously more expensive than normal ones. And i am pretty sure, that you need one.
I guess one can ask, does video shooting require all the best video equipment. Obviously, generally speaking that is going to be true but we know that in a bind people have done amazing things without the best and we see this if we go through photos that win awards checking what cameras were used - the odd lower level camera will be in there. I have shot video and extracted clips using 400 X2, my 1DX2 and a lighter tripod and the results were overall poor because even a finger touching the shutter would introduce severe shake. The odd photo would be OK. I haven't tried this yet with the R5 and IBIS but I don't expect it to be much different. I was not using a remote release and the 1DX2 was more bird-focus challenged than the R5 will be. Keep in mind that the camera is only touched when starting the video on an expectation that something will appear.

In some cases a tripod head can be fastened to a structure where the critters frequent. In that case being closer and having a photo gimbal works very well. I welded an adapter that fastens to my stainless steel deck railings that overlook a flower bed and that works surprisingly well and I think something similar could work for a car's window glass. Is video worth the trouble? All I can say is occasionally I have kicked myself for not being ready to shoot some and once I shot video of a very young moose that allowed me to use my 24-70 on my Zhiyun gimbal and walk after him.

Unfortunately, I have not taken the time to learn the editing process so far so how can I possibly advance with this? That is what I'm finally determined to change.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for this. I understand what you're saying and I won't be spending like that. Is it reasonable to assume that the Canon IS is going to help if the tripod is not a beast? I probably wouldn't be doing too much indoors - mostly wildlife and travel footage. I expect a mic is going to be a given.

I have the Zhiyun Crane 2 but I last used it with the 1DX2 and must get it out. It seemed quite good for walk around use but I never edited the shots I took on holidays to really see if they were truly acceptable. I used 4K 60 to get stills of the Costa Rica Quetzal approaching a nest with 800mm and that was indeed challenging with a flimsy tripod but I can't imagine travelling with a video tripod. Too high ISO in a rain forest but I suspect the R5 would be a game changer with eye focus.

Jack
If a shot is a walk-around, then some motion is expected. If you are filming birds flying around, shake is less forgiving. For still objects, shake is bad news. There indeed newer technologies that work well, IS works well and digital shake removal in post processing is a nice tool. I tried editing 8K in my free version of Davinci Resolve. I had no issue as I recall. I've since upgraded my PC and haven't tried it. My PC was definitely not a high end video machine. My new one is better but still middle of the road.
Give it a try. It's likely a big step up from Vegas, but probably not as user friendly. When I started playing with video, I had standalone video editors and VCR's. The editor would let me play video on one machine, set up to 16 clipping points for 8 segments. Then it would play those to the recorder, pausing the record function while it advanced to the next clip, etc the record tape had to be prepared first with time base info so it would play back smoothly. No digital, everything was Analog. It was extremely time consuming. A few years later, that stuff was history as digital took over. It was far easier but still time consuming. When the Canon DSLR with video came out (5D MK II?), I took video clips of some local musical plays just using the camera mic. I still have them. The 5D MK II videos were a huge success at the time and started a whole new generation of video makers. After that, I pretty much lost interest. I thought I'd use my R5 to take videos of flying birds in 4K or 8K and capture stills but it never happened. I have developed a balance issue and can't look up. I'll probably sell my R5. I haven't used it for almost a year.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If a shot is a walk-around, then some motion is expected. If you are filming birds flying around, shake is less forgiving. For still objects, shake is bad news. There indeed newer technologies that work well, IS works well and digital shake removal in post processing is a nice tool. I tried editing 8K in my free version of Davinci Resolve. I had no issue as I recall. I've since upgraded my PC and haven't tried it. My PC was definitely not a high end video machine. My new one is better but still middle of the road.
Give it a try. It's likely a big step up from Vegas, but probably not as user friendly. When I started playing with video, I had standalone video editors and VCR's. The editor would let me play video on one machine, set up to 16 clipping points for 8 segments. Then it would play those to the recorder, pausing the record function while it advanced to the next clip, etc the record tape had to be prepared first with time base info so it would play back smoothly. No digital, everything was Analog. It was extremely time consuming. A few years later, that stuff was history as digital took over. It was far easier but still time consuming. When the Canon DSLR with video came out (5D MK II?), I took video clips of some local musical plays just using the camera mic. I still have them. The 5D MK II videos were a huge success at the time and started a whole new generation of video makers. After that, I pretty much lost interest. I thought I'd use my R5 to take videos of flying birds in 4K or 8K and capture stills but it never happened. I have developed a balance issue and can't look up. I'll probably sell my R5. I haven't used it for almost a year.
There is one thing that you convey in stark truth - getting old is the pits. Physically at least but don't you agree that we need to stay sharp believing we can still do productive interesting and even valuable things. One thing for me is this. Since I could use but don't "need" more income, I've taken an interest in helping with charitable endeavours with my limited photography skills and that helps give me motivation to stick with it. However, eventually there is no escaping our reality. :cry: :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
There is one thing that you convey in stark truth - getting old is the pits. Physically at least but don't you agree that we need to stay sharp believing we can still do productive interesting and even valuable things. One thing for me is this. Since I could use but don't "need" more income, I've taken an interest in helping with charitable endeavours with my limited photography skills and that helps give me motivation to stick with it. However, eventually there is no escaping our reality. :cry: :)
Yes, I did a lot of photography for local organizations at no cost. At this point, I'm pretty much physically unable to do much photography. I've taken to using my phone because I can't hold the heavy camera and lenses, can't walk over uneven ground without help, I'm very restricted as to what I can do. I am going to physical therapy trying to help out with balance, but it's more likely to just slow down my getting worse. When I realized that my R5 has been sitting here unused for a year with a host of expensive lenses, I decided to consider selling them. I have thousands of old family photos, large boxes of them that need to be scanned, cleaned up, subjects identified, etc. I want to send them to my cousins so they stand a good chance of being preserved over future generations. I need to concentrate on that in the future. I have two wide format printers that don't get used and a ton of photo paper of all sizes up to 24 wide.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Yes, I did a lot of photography for local organizations at no cost. At this point, I'm pretty much physically unable to do much photography. I've taken to using my phone because I can't hold the heavy camera and lenses, can't walk over uneven ground without help, I'm very restricted as to what I can do. I am going to physical therapy trying to help out with balance, but it's more likely to just slow down my getting worse. When I realized that my R5 has been sitting here unused for a year with a host of expensive lenses, I decided to consider selling them. I have thousands of old family photos, large boxes of them that need to be scanned, cleaned up, subjects identified, etc. I want to send them to my cousins so they stand a good chance of being preserved over future generations. I need to concentrate on that in the future. I have two wide format printers that don't get used and a ton of photo paper of all sizes up to 24 wide.
I hear you loud and clear and I can see my own trajectory based on what you are describing. If you were physically close I'd love to visit with you and benefit from your expertise. All we can do is what we can do and increasingly it's diminishing. As long as you care about doing what is desirable and are trying your best that is all that matters. I perceive you may be somewhat like me, a bit of a perfectionist who tends to place higher expectations on yourself than what others do. It may be time for us to just reduce the expectations. I wish you well.

Jack

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
I dislike Adobe cloud only products, but use an old version of elements for photos. Final cut pro is what I see many people use. I am on Linux and use KDenLive, it is super easy to learn. Copy many photos or videos onto the split video and audio timeline. Use scissor icon to cut, and delete segments. Vegas came from 90's Sonic Foundry and was bought out by Sony, unless they added a bunch of extra advanced features, I am surprised you are having trouble as their interface is similar to audio editor they offer and drag and drop clips, cut and stretch.. Pretty easy. Avoid large file sizes like 4 or 8k. Start with 1080p and just learn to chop up videos, then render to mp4 format. Right now, forget learning extra stuff like titles, dissolves and other features until you figure out basic editing. The reason you are overwhelmed might be too many features?, hence why I dislike the regular Photoshop. "Explaining computers" channel on youtube has examples of KDenlive editing, he is really basic and the process is the same with most editors I have seen.

iMovie I used on my older cRippled crapple computers, it was procedure based with a wizard to help. Designed for anyone to use.

Upvote 0