Viewfinder brightness (eye) overload when shooting dark scenes.

Hi,

I have a question about my R5. When I want to take a picture (In AV mode) in a dark theatre for a performance, when I half press the shutter button the image through the viewfinder lights up the picture fully and my eye gets flooded with (overexposed) light. When i fully press the shutter the picture is ok and also according to my settings, but why does the half shutter button over exposes the light through the viewfinder so much.

I have no flash connected and or setup to take the picture. The photo is also ok, but somehow the camera keeps over exposuring the viewfinders when the shutter is half pressed. In the end when shooting many photo,s this is very aannoying because it,s like watching into a weld flame.

My previous camera was a Eos 70d which didn`t have this ( i think it,s a function).

Hopefully someone recognises this. I tried turning of exposure simulation however that did not solve the issue.

Reactions: 1 user

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi,

I have a question about my R5. When I want to take a picture (In AV mode) in a dark theatre for a performance, when I half press the shutter button the image through the viewfinder lights up the picture fully and my eye gets flooded with (overexposed) light. When i fully press the shutter the picture is ok and also according to my settings, but why does the half shutter button over exposes the light through the viewfinder so much.

I have no flash connected and or setup to take the picture. The photo is also ok, but somehow the camera keeps over exposuring the viewfinders when the shutter is half pressed. In the end when shooting many photo,s this is very aannoying because it,s like watching into a weld flame.

My previous camera was a Eos 70d which didn`t have this ( i think it,s a function).

Hopefully someone recognises this. I tried turning of exposure simulation however that did not solve the issue.
Just checked - mine doesn't do that. Are you sure you have turned off exposure simulation? The 70D doesn't have an EVF.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Hi,

Is your firmware up to date? This use to be very annoying for me also, but was resolved about two years back. I still get a little EVF brightening, but nothing like when my R5 was new.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Is your firmware up to date? This use to be very annoying for me also, but was resolved about two years back. I still get a little EVF brightening, but nothing like when my R5 was new.
Firmware is up to date. Issue keeps popping up now and than especcially in dark scenes. Sometimes I have to shoot a musical and the issue allways pops up when there are dark scenes.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Firmware is up to date. Issue keeps popping up now and than especcially in dark scenes. Sometimes I have to shoot a musical and the issue allways pops up when there are dark scenes.
After responding to you yesterday, I tried mine in various lighting, including almost completely dark. None of the jumping I saw my first few months with the camera. Zero. I tried changing various performance settings for the EVF and could not produce what you are describing. I tried with Exposure Simulation on and off, and I tried with and without a Canon Speedlite attached.

When you say your firmware is up to date, which version are you using?

From my tests, and from other replies here, I'd say your camera is not behaving characteristically.

Did you buy it new or used?

Upvote 0
After responding to you yesterday, I tried mine in various lighting, including almost completely dark. None of the jumping I saw my first few months with the camera. Zero. I tried changing various performance settings for the EVF and could not produce what you are describing. I tried with Exposure Simulation on and off, and I tried with and without a Canon Speedlite attached.

When you say your firmware is up to date, which version are you using?

From my tests, and from other replies here, I'd say your camera is not behaving characteristically.

Did you buy it new or used?
I bought it new. But before I bought it I rented another R5 to shoot a musical. It was the same at that time, so it,s not a device issue, it,s more a type issue which doesn`t seem to happen when in medium or good light. It,s pure darkness with some highlights on persons when this happens.

I,ll try to make an example with my phone this weekend.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I bought it new. But before I bought it I rented another R5 to shoot a musical. It was the same at that time, so it,s not a device issue, it,s more a type issue which doesn`t seem to happen when in medium or good light. It,s pure darkness with some highlights on persons when this happens.

I,ll try to make an example with my phone this weekend.
I did not install firmware 2.0.0, for what it's worth.

Upvote 0