What’s going on with Canon Speedlites?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I did use the AD-E1 on the R50 and was briefly disconcerted when it didn't work immediately with a 430EX-II. Read instructions and realized my mistake was not shutting down the camera first. It wasn't just a suggestion! Following procedures resulted in proper function.

It does add a little awkward height in terms of ergonomics, but bounce works as expected, of course. Still, on an expensive body with a bigger flash, I'd be a little concerned about stress on the camera's hot-shoe.

The weather sealing, if really important to a photographer, could be accomplished with a wide rubber-band.

Hopefully the R5 II will have the contacts for older flash and various non-Canon triggers. At some point needing yet another adapter will become annoying.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
That's the point: why REALLY invest in something that others do better and cheaper? I don't see Canon, or any other camera manufacturer, really interested in putting up money to develop something that is pretty much a small niche.
You have a point here,
my camera store says they sell very very FEW (edited) branded flashes, mostly Godox or Profoto.

While I have huge issues with the RT features of Canon, the 600 ver 2 with an 8 battery power pack as on on camera flash is amazingly good!

Last edited:
Upvote 0