What was the first photo you sold?

I was digging through my old photos and found my first sale, so I thought it would be interesting to see what other people's first paid pictures looked like. In my case, I no longer shoot fashion, but it was an interesting genre. I sold this photo to the clothing designer for $100 and a 8x10 print to the model for $40, if I remember correctly.

i-RrGHHxx-L.jpg

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
mackguyver said:
I was digging through my old photos and found my first sale, so I thought it would be interesting to see what other people's first paid pictures looked like. In my case, I no longer shoot fashion, but it was an interesting genre. I sold this photo to the clothing designer for $100 and a 8x10 print to the model for $40, if I remember correctly.

i-RrGHHxx-L.jpg

I could not live with myself if I accepted money from the model. The decent thing to do would be to buy here a few decent meals.....

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Nice pictures here.

I am on my iPad, so I have not the ¨real ´ pictures here, but here is the link to the first two pictures I sold in order. The first was used for a main theme for an organization, and the second I printed on my Pixma Pro 1, and had it framed in a frame shop? and sold.

https://500px.com/photo/3196219/escalator-iii-catching-the-color-by-gerhard-emil-schjelderup?from=user

https://500px.com/photo/13964305/enter!-by-gerhard-emil-schjelderup?from=user

Upvote 0
My first sale, as I can remember, was in 1987 or 88. It was a head shot of a model from a modeling school I walked into looking for anything to make a few dollars while a graduate student in Albany. I think I charged her $40 for the session and gave her 4 or 5 shots. I spent probably 10 hours in the darkroom trying to get that first job right. The model and the school loved the shots and sent several dozen girls my way over the next couple of years. It paid my rent.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
V8Beast said:
At the time, I thought the first photo I sold was half decent. Looking back at it now, I think it's complete $hit and I can't believe anyone paid money for it :eek:

Do you ever go back and fix photos? Most of my shots from way back when are in .jpg... so I don't think it is worth trying, but it's good to know I could fix now with all that I presently know.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Do you ever go back and fix photos? Most of my shots from way back when are in .jpg... so I don't think it is worth trying, but it's good to know I could fix now with all that I presently know.

Sometimes. That specific image I referenced was beyond fixing :) With older images I actually like, it's usually for very minor edits like cloning stuff out that I didn't notice before.

Upvote 0