Canon R100 Review

What you say and quoted seem very reasonable for me.
I would like to note what you touched on about the webcam use. Some people probably would use one camera solely for a webcam. It's about half of the RP's current price, unless I'm mistaken.
Also, to be honest, I learned to use cameras without a screen at all and don't use the touch feature on R5 much. For someone's first camera or a camera to could take risks like dropping in water, it might be pretty good with a RF 50mm f/1.8.
An older used camera might be better though?
As you said $200 can be a lot of money for some people...

Upvote 0
I think the one and only reason for this camera is to say "we have something beyond $500" to just get as much people (with tight budget) into the R ILC system.

If smartphone users want to get into ILC because they think their smartphone cam is the limiting factor AND touch is needed/wanted, my guess would be that those have the extra $200 for the R50.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think the one and only reason for this camera is to say "we have something beyond $500" to just get as much people (with tight budget) into the R ILC system.

If smartphone users want to get into ILC...
Agreed. I wonder who Canon views as the main target market for the R100 – smartphone users, or current users of an older Canon entry-level DSLR who need/want a new camera?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While I agree, I personally usually just use the dials/buttons on my R3. Canon's ergonomics are such that the placement of the physical controls are such that I find that easier and faster than using the touchscreen.
yes, but we're coming from a DSLR / ILC camera experience.

these types of uesrs are coming from a smartphone experience.
The M200 for instance, aws more tailored to those people, so it's curious.

Upvote 0
Except the R100 barely has any physical controls. It's not an R3. In 2023 you have to use the 4-way controller to move the focus point is weird.
Thanks, I really thought I paid $6000 for an R100. Oops. :rolleyes:

My comment was directed to the general Canon touchscreen UI, not the R100 specifically, which is why I quoted just that bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Horses for courses. I didn’t have a touch screen until my 5Div and survived ok. Sure times have changed including smart phone interface and phone camera quality.

At a recent family get together, my cousin proudly told me that they bought his son a EOS camera. Wasn’t able to tell me more and I didn’t push… no judgement. His son thought my r5+rf24-105/4 was big and heavy. He did like the eye-af though.

Canon knows more about their low end customer buying reasons than we do.

Upvote 0
Judging by the BCN Retail "50 best sellers" list, the Japanese like inexpensive cameras. It will be interesting to see how the R100 does on that list.
I also suspect that for the longest of times, the double lens kits were sold in bulk in Japan because they could split the kit up and sell it piecemeal for a profit on ebay, etc.

not sure if they can do that now, i haven't checked prices in the longest of times.

Upvote 0