240408 solar eclipse (totality)

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Still down here in Austin (Texas). But I did give my images a quick glance. We were in danger leading up to the eclipse of rain/clouds. But, there was a small window we kept counting on and decided to hang tight with our plan rather than drive for hours chasing a better chance of clear skies. In the end...it totally worked out....but the clouds did not give me a chance at Bailey's beads or a diamond ring. Minutes after totality, the window in the clouds closed and we lost sight of the sun.

My favorites so far:

Small-7521.jpgSmall-7599.jpgSmall-7601.jpgSmall-7604.jpgSmall-7606.jpgSmall-7623.jpgSmall-7638.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Great pics, guys.

I am so happy for you that you could get this experience and such good photos. :)

I remember the solar eclipse on August 11, 1999.
I was living in Stuttgart at the time and was right in the middle of totality without moving a single centimetre.
And it was pouring with rain. I was so pissed (both ways), :mad: but then I managed to catch a glimpse through a gap in the clouds.
Still, it was a unique moment.
I don't think I'll be still looking at the sky in 2081, when the next total eclipse hits Germany.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Great pics, guys.

I am so happy for you that you could get this experience and such good photos. :)

I remember the solar eclipse on August 11, 1999.
I was living in Stuttgart at the time and was right in the middle of totality without moving a single centimetre.
And it was pouring with rain. I was so pissed (both ways), :mad: but then I managed to catch a glimpse through a gap in the clouds.
Still, it was a unique moment.
I don't think I'll be still looking at the sky in 2081, when the next total eclipse hits Germany.
Thank Maximilian. Quick FYI, next one is Spain in Aug 2026….you could catch a train.

Thanks @danfaz

Incredible detail @neuroanatomist Love it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... FYI, next one is Spain in Aug 2026….you could catch a train. ...
Thanks!
I know about the dates ;)
After 1999 I thought about a holiday trip to Turkey in March 2006. Because the totality was going directly across the main tourist centres around Antalya.
But I stayed in Germany and had a sunny day on March 29th and a nice partial one here.
And especially the Aug 2026 will be quite difficult in Spain as it will happen almost exactly at sundown there. One could go near Oviedo and have a good view over the Atlantic. But the totality would be about less than 2 m. ...
And then all the atmospheric disturbances near the horizon and so on...
But if you find the right spot, the photos might be magnificent.

For the moment I'll wait until March 29th 2025 (again March 29th!) and see how much the partial one then will catch me.

Edit: I just read that in Aug 2026 in Germany we'll have 80 to 90 % coverage. But for sure, it'll rain again ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
As I mentioned, we were battling cloud cover with the eclipse where outside of Austin (Texas). I was wondering if it would lead to some unique photos. I thought I had missed the diamond ring...but I have about 3 shots where I zoomed out to 200 mm on the RF 200-800 to try to capture the scene and looks like I got something close to a diamond ring...between the clouds.

I am also seeing a bit of a halo effect in the high clouds with this one framed by the lower clouds.
small--4.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As I mentioned, we were battling cloud cover with the eclipse where outside of Austin (Texas). I was wondering if it would lead to some unique photos. I thought I had missed the diamond ring...but I have about 3 shots where I zoomed out to 200 mm on the RF 200-800 to try to capture the scene and looks like I got something close to a diamond ring...between the clouds.

I am also seeing a bit of a halo effect in the high clouds with this one framed by the lower clouds.
View attachment 215964
I rather like the cloud effect.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Also...I hadn't realized how much larger than the sun the moon was going to be this time around. At no point did I see the solar prominences around the entire sun.

Near the start of the eclipse:

small-7600-2.jpg

Then near the end of the eclipse:
small--2.jpg

......a close up of the prominences...

small--6.jpg

..while not Neuro level of detail, I'll happily take it....

BTW...at home now and looking at the images in more detail....while I enjoyed this immensely, I am reminded why it felt more tense than the eclipse I photographed in 2017, which was in open skies in Idaho.

A shot of lower clouds obscuring the sun just before totality (400 mm)...
small-7560.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Prior to posting this one, I decided to try and learn some more about the concept of 'infinity'...

Perusing the link as well as others reminded me of my own semi-successful pursuit of quantum mechanics (my head still hurts :unsure: ;)...much like it did while trying to figure out the plot of the Nolan movie Tenet! )

half size no transition.gif

...amazing what just over 2MB can convey.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0