Airline Checked Bags with Lens Image Stabilization "On" or "Off"?

Jul 21, 2010
Keep Murphy’s Law in mind. Suggestions:
  1. Don’t check your camera gear
  2. Don’t check your camera gear
  3. Again, don’t check your camera gear
  4. If 1-3 are unacceptable, don’t check your camera gear on the way to your destination, check it only on the way home
  5. If 1-4 are unacceptable, at least use hard luggage (e.g., Pelican) and put an AirTag or similar tracker in your bag so you’ll have a somewhat better chance of recovering it before your trip ends (or at all)
  6. It really doesn’t matter what position the IS switch is in, some lenses park it without power, others don’t (RF lenses don’t)
I’ve read advice to buy, pack and declare a starter pistol in the bag. It’s treated as a firearm, TSA will inspect it, let you lock the case, and make darn sure it doesn’t get lost.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Taking a few lenses to Hawaii in January.
Any suggestions if going in checked baggage? (Image stabilization, etc.)
Thanks... :))
How many lenses are you considering taking? I have never checked camera equipment when travel by air, but if I did I would deinfitely take the advice give above and use a Pelican case and use an AirTag for tracking purposes. The firearm idea is interesting, and one that I have never considered.

If I am taking a lot of equipment on domestic flights I tend fill a Thinktank Airport Essentials/Commuter backpack and a Thinktank Airport Advantage / Advantage XL roller bag with camera gear. Lastly, while it is very expensive I sometimes fly business / first class since under no circumstances do I want to have to check my carry ons.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If I am taking a lot of equipment on domestic flights
I often travel with a Lowepro Fastpack Pro BP AW III. Holds a body (including one with an integrated grip), UWA and standard f/4 zooms, and the 100-500L in the gear compartment. Chargers and sundries in the top compartment, and my 16” Mac laptop. Tripod goes in checked luggage.

I bought a Peak Design Travel Backpack before my last summer trip. It meets carryon size (~36 L) but expands to 45 L and compresses to 30 L as more of a daypack. I’ll probably use that for an upcoming trip to SF. Bringing the R8, 24-105/4, 100-500L, and 11-24/4 and TS-E 17 with the adapter, and also a full spectrum converted M6, M11-22, M18-150, and various filters.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Hey Neuro,
When you coming to SF?

I used my lowepro protactic. BP 450 III in Alaska this year. Carried one body, RF trinity and RF 100-500. Plus, batteries, cards, charger, 14-in laptop... Fits under your seat or an overhead, no problem. I don't check camera gear. I'm happy to arrive without clothes, but I'm not happy to arrive without my gear.

My dad's a retired pilot. My mom's retired flight attendant. I'd rather not check my camera gear.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I use a Tamrac bag that is the regulation size for fitting under a seat on BA, EasyJet and other airlines so I can take both it and a full-size cabin case on board as carry-on hand luggage. It will take my R5+RF100-500 and my wife's R7+RF100-400 (as well as slipping in an iPad). Couldn't fit in the 200-800 so it won't be a travel lens for me.

Cameras_in_bag.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0