BBF Question

Jul 21, 2010
When using the ‘back button focus’, I know that for a moving steam train I have to hold the button while I take the photo.

When I go to the Zoo to photograph non moving animals, do I still need to hold the back button while I take the photo or just press it to focus then take my finger off and then take the photo?
You can just press the AF-ON button to lock focus, then release it and the focus will not change when you press the shutter button (assuming you are using the typical back button focus setup with metering only assigned to the shutter release).

One thing to be aware of is that the focus point will not be recorded in EXIF data (and thus not displayed as a little red box when reviewing images) if the AF-ON button is not held down as you press the shutter release. Personally, that doesn’t bother me and I often shoot static subjects in the way you are asking about.

Upvote 0
You can just press the AF-ON button to lock focus, then release it and the focus will not change when you press the shutter button (assuming you are using the typical back button focus setup with metering only assigned to the shutter release).

One thing to be aware of is that the focus point will not be recorded in EXIF data (and thus not displayed as a little red box when reviewing images) if the AF-ON button is not held down as you press the shutter release. Personally, that doesn’t bother me and I often shoot static subjects in the way you are asking about.
Thank you for your info and help.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0