Canon’s upcoming announcements recap

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The announcements most of the readership of this site are looking forward to are coming up quickly. We just wanted to recap what is coming and what we know at this point and time. Canon has become really good at keeping things quiet, but that doesn’t last forever. Registered Cameras Canon EOS R5 Mark II

See full article...

Have you heard ANYTHING on the rumored RF 24mm f/1.4 and the RF 14mm f/1.2 or f/1.4 (competitor to Sonys 14mm f1.8 GM). Sonys 14mm GM is awesome (great IQ, very compact and light) for astro BUT Canon has nothing to compete with this 14mm lens! So when can we realistically expect the Canon RF 14mm f1.2 or f/1.4?

And I can’t believe there still isn’t an RF 24mm f/1.4! I thought it’d release alongside the RF 35mm!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Love Canon and have invested heavily in RF glass getting ready to offload our C300mk3s for a new FF RF Cinema cam. If it is not announced or coming soon, we have to jump to Sony.
Good poker face, blackoak. Can't tell if you are being facetious or obnoxious. I can't tell frack from friction anymore.

What might the R5II offer to tempt a very, very happy R5 owner? I'm asking myself how much better could a camera get for predominantly stills photographers...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
A mid-may or late may announcement for the R5ii makes sense if they don’t have all things sorted out yet or were afraid of having production issues (we all know what statement will be released hours after the R5mkii announcement…). But why didn‘t Canon announce at least a couple of lenses within the last six months? There are still holes (or in some cases huge gaps) in the current RF lineup and it would have been very well received to fill in at least a couple of them…

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
I feel like they are behind on lens announcements for the calendar year. Hopefully that just means lots of good stuff later, assuming they stick to their 7-8 lenses per year pace. Was expecting to see the 200-500/4 announced sooner.
If the next announcement is indeed in late May, it would be the longest stretch without any camera related announcement for at least 15 years.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 30, 2017
Canon should announce one fullframe cinema camera in NAB 2024.
I checked they have already released CN-R20mm T1.5 L F in March 28th in Japan.
They have already had one set R mount lens and arr ready to release more Z.
Global shutter may not be ready but fullframe 6k DGO sensor should be ok.

So crazy that Canon didn\'t do any in these 4 months but their made in Japan pro lens are still out of stock in Japan.
I checked that 10-20mm and 100-300mm f2.8, RF200-800mm are out of stock in Yodobashi, biccanera.
Even RF-S10-18mm F4.5-6.3 is out of stock.

They don\'t want ro hire people to make lens?
Haha..

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Canon should announce one fullframe cinema camera in NAB 2024.
I checked they have already released CN-R20mm T1.5 L F in March 28th in Japan.
Isn't the CN-R 20mm T1.5 just the CN-E version with the lens mount swapped out for RF? In fact, the entire CN-R set seems to be just the CN-E set but re-mounted for RF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 30, 2017
Isn't the CN-R 20mm T1.5 just the CN-E version with the lens mount swapped out for RF? In fact, the entire CN-R set seems to be just the CN-E set but re-mounted for RF.
I think the glass quality is better.
RF support 8K optical performance with HDR.
But I don't think anypne have EF and RF to compare the quality.

Or would Canon update their EF lens to 8K?
Because EF lens can mount to other cinema camera. RF lens may have not have chance.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Wow, so THIS is the Cartman, "_________ you guys, I'm going home," thread! Sheesh.

Imagine. You have a professional set of gear. You've had success, good performance, excellent service and durability for "years." Suddenly, if THIS spring, Canon doesn't come up with something incrementally better, then work-flow, scheduling, and costs be darned, you are going jump to another brand.

None of this sounds remotely as if it barely echoes the mindset of any working pro I've ever known or read about. Even deeply passionate amateurs care more about their work, their photos, than about gear specs.

Yes, Canon will continue improving gear, making it more enticing, matching or topping competitors. But who, other than folks who rarely get out, would spend time visiting a forum that has no corporate connection to Canon, just to shout about the company "had better__________, or else 'we' are leaving."

We have no influence whatsoever over Canon's scheduling, so why not talk about what will make photography easier, better, etc.?

Now, I've got that out of my system, could we get back to talking about how the new bodies are going to be better, how they are going to spark greater creativity and abilities?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
What might the R5II offer to tempt a very, very happy R5 owner? I'm asking myself how much better could a camera get for predominantly stills photographers...
I agree with you, I have 2 R5's at this point and I shoot mainly wildlife, I am banging out keepers on a continuous that I wouldn't never been able to before, I don't see the need to upgrade at all to a version II at this point. I'm just super happy with the R5

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0