Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
With DGO enabled the read out speed would be twice as slow.
Depends on how it's implemented. The c300/70 use a single ADC and double read each line which causes the slower readout. But there is no reason you couldn't use two ADCs set to two different gain levels and split the signal from the sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
They just should not claim that there is no DR penalty.
What they told us is true, from a certain point of view. You're going to find that many of the truths Sony clings to depend greatly on their own point of view. I learned that from some old guy with a funny blue glow, I heard he fought in the DRone wars.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Quite disappointed again. This MP count is again not sufficient for my needs. Sounds very good...for an R3ii!
After three 1D X series cameras at no higher than 20 MP, I’d think you’d be used to disappointment by now. I’d suggest anyone expecting Canon to make a radical departure from their prior strategy with a given series is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
After three 1D X series cameras at no higher than 20 MP, I’d think you’d be used to disappointment by now. I’d suggest anyone expecting Canon to make a radical departure from their prior strategy with a given series is setting themselves up for disappointment.
Agreed. If the rumors are true, the R1 will have 50% more pixels that the 1Dx MkIII, which is a very significant increase in four years time.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

yankiefrankie

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 10, 2020
The thing that bothers me the most about this is the claimed 1 second pre-shooting. Unless they fix the DPP implementation that only allows extracting the images (from the pre-buffer roll) ONE AT A TIME, the feature is USELESS. I was so excited for this feature on my R8, but in practice it is such a pain to use. It takes so much time extracting each image from the roll, and DPP is so clunky and error prone that I just stopped using the feature. There is a thread on Canon community website where lots of people complain about this issue. So far, there has been no response from Canon and the thread is getting old now.

How can Canon advertise such a feature and make it so terrible in practice? I am a professional software developer so I have no tolerance for such an OBVIOUSLY poorly implemented feature. Canon knew it stunk but shipped it anyway. :mad:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
It takes so much time extracting each image from the roll, and DPP is so clunky and error prone that I just stopped using the feature. ... I am a professional software developer so I have no tolerance for such an OBVIOUSLY poorly implemented feature. Canon knew it stunk but shipped it anyway. :mad:
Canon has spent lots of time developing DPP, I'm sure they think it's excellent and they choose provide it for free. I bet they even have professional software developers who write the code for DPP.

I agree with you about the UI, it's kludgy and I avoid DPP unless forced to use it (e.g., a new camera not yet supported by DxO PL). But like converting DP-RAW, for some features you're stuck with DPP.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
The GOOD: I'm very glad the RUMOR is that global shutter isn't part of the package. Image quality matters more than anything and, if Sony is any indication, global shutter isn't ready to provide that.

The BAD: This seems like a pretty small step up from the R3. It's about what I would expect an R3ii to be. Perhaps this is verification that the R3 was really the R1, then was renamed at the last minute. Great camera . . but for birds, we need more than 24MP . . . or even 30MP.
It's about impossible to rename a camera "at the last minute".
It would imply reprinting and rewriting all that is about to be published (or has already been published). It happened once at my company, for reasons of name-patent infringement. This was hell on earth! Legions of employees were kept busy for weeks...And tremendously expensive too.
No, the R3 was to become an R3, not matter what the Internet wants to believe...

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
It's about impossible to rename a camera "at the last minute".
It would imply reprinting and rewriting all that is about to be published (or has already been published). It happened once at my company, for reasons of name-patent infringement. This was hell on earth! Legions of employees were kept busy for weeks...And tremendously expensive too.
No, the R3 was to become an R3, not matter what the Internet wants to believe...
Well . . . it's all about your definition of "last minute", isn't it? For everything, there is a last minute -- EVEN for naming the R3. You're talking about a point in time well beyond the last minute. It would seem to be a procrastinator's too-late last minute. But perhaps I should defer.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Great camera . . but for birds, we need more than 24MP . . . or even 30MP.
Or a longer lens. How did we ever manage to take pictures of birds with an 18 MP FF sensor like the one in the 1D X? Personally, I'm fine using 18-24 MP, if the R1 has 30 MP I'll take it, but I would not call it a 'need'.

Upvote 0