Canon officially registers a second unannounced EOS R camera body

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
On March 29, 2024, Canon registered two new cameras for WiFi and Bluetooth approval with a government agency. This falls nicely into the late April – May announcements coming from Canon. The cameras registered carry the model codes DS126922 and DS126928. We reported about the registration of DS126922 back in early February. Canon DS126922 Canon

See full article...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'm so looking forwards to this batch of camera releases from Canon. The R5 needs a warm over to keep it fresh and the it's been long over due for a real flag ship camera....not that I've ever bought a 1 series in my entire photographic history. They have always been a bit too big and heavy for my shooting needs. I also need a pair of them, which is super expensive!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Does anyone make WiFi 6 capable cameras? There's probably a reason...... but I'm not an engineer.
Thanks to the wifi forum deciding to emulate USB numbering, it is a confusing mess:
  • WiFi 6: can use either the 2.4GHz or the 5Hz band, signal uses QAM1024 and WPA3 for security
  • WiFi 6E: can use either the 2.4GHz, 5Hz or the 6GHz band, signal uses QAM1024 and WPA3 for security
  • WiFi 7: can use all the bands simultaneously
Canon already supports WPA3 on the R8, but not QAM1024, so it's not WiFi6 capable, but a future R50II could very well be. Still on just the overcrowded 2.4GHz band that flakes out every time you heat up a poptart in the microwave.

Access points that use the 6GHz band are coming down in price, but are still mostly 'gaming' or 'enterprise' focussed, so still very niche. My wish for camera companies to be ahead of the curve is mostly to be ahead of overcrowding, being the only laptop to connect to the hotel 5GHz network was very nice for a few years :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
On March 29, 2024, Canon registered two new cameras for WiFi and Bluetooth approval with a government agency. This falls nicely into the late April – May announcements coming from Canon. The cameras registered carry the model codes DS126922 and DS126928. We reported about the registration of DS126922 back in early February. Canon DS126922 Canon

See full article...
Stunning ....

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Thanks to the wifi forum deciding to emulate USB numbering, it is a confusing mess:
  • WiFi 6: can use either the 2.4GHz or the 5Hz band, signal uses QAM1024 and WPA3 for security
  • WiFi 6E: can use either the 2.4GHz, 5Hz or the 6GHz band, signal uses QAM1024 and WPA3 for security
  • WiFi 7: can use all the bands simultaneously
Canon already supports WPA3 on the R8, but not QAM1024, so it's not WiFi6 capable, but a future R50II could very well be. Still on just the overcrowded 2.4GHz band that flakes out every time you heat up a poptart in the microwave.

Access points that use the 6GHz band are coming down in price, but are still mostly 'gaming' or 'enterprise' focussed, so still very niche. My wish for camera companies to be ahead of the curve is mostly to be ahead of overcrowding, being the only laptop to connect to the hotel 5GHz network was very nice for a few years :)

I appreciate the information, now I actually get it. Standardisation logic is the best!

Upvote 0
Still wishing there’s R5ii and R5iisr
Just a thought. But why would they make a development announcement for the R1 when they are registering it for approval? Surely, you only register for approval when you have the finished product for testing? Maybe both of these are for the R5. One being the next gen from the current R5, video+pictures, and the other a high-res version for mainly pictures.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Just a thought. But why would they make a development announcement for the R1 when they are registering it for approval? Surely, you only register for approval when you have the finished product for testing? Maybe both of these are for the R5. One being the next gen from the current R5, video+pictures, and the other a high-res version for mainly pictures.
That depends on what you mean by testing.
The production hardware comes before the production firmware.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I think the difference between a development announcement, and a regular one is just creative marketing. By the time the do a dev announcement, pre production models or even production models are in the hands of serious users and agencies. For the R5, its ''announce", pre-order, ship.

R1 will be 'dev announce' send stock to pros/agencies for olympics, then open general sales later in the year. The difference could be just the supply chain/marketing strategy.

Brian

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0