Canon officially registers a second unannounced EOS R camera body

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I think the difference between a development announcement, and a regular one is just creative marketing. By the time the do a dev announcement, pre production models or even production models are in the hands of serious users and agencies. For the R5, its ''announce", pre-order, ship.

R1 will be 'dev announce' send stock to pros/agencies for olympics, then open general sales later in the year. The difference could be just the supply chain/marketing strategy.

Brian
My hypothesis based on current info is that we will have the R5 Mk2 officially announced in early May approximately three months after it was registered. on Feb 1, 2024.

The R5 will ship in late June / early July, which is when I also anticipate the official R1 announcement, which coincidentally is also about three months after it was officially registered on March 29, 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Does anyone make WiFi 6 capable cameras? There's probably a reason...... but I'm not an engineer.
Yes, the DS126922 is WiFi6 capable, as we discussed when it was 'leaked' in February.
See my post about it in the old thread:

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Do you mean we might lose our tails?
Yes, and the tails act as an antenna which is convenient since it will activate the covid vaccine nano bots -, we won't need to use the Canon connect app on our phones anymore. Unfortunately, Dr. Fauci cripple hammered us and we can't transfer raw files!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I appreciate the information, now I actually get it. Standardisation logic is the best!
You only have sit through the multi-year group of committee meetings for one standardization effort to understand why the process is a bit warped. Technopolitics at its finest.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
What if that second registered body is a combined R7/R10 replacement (R9?)? These APS-C bodies have been around for a while, and now the lower end is getting a little crowded with the R50 and R100. The R1 might see a development announcement, but maybe not shipping soon enough to warrant bugging the FCC...
I don't know. If Canon is going to be distributing the camera to professional prior to the Olympics does it have to be registered before hand? A late March / early April registration suggests a July announcement (around the Olympics) and then shipping in Sept/Oct?

With both the R5 and R3 being heavily discounted by Canon dealers in the US the writing is on the wall that the R5 Mk2 and R1 are to be released this year.

Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
I don't know. If Canon is going to be distributing the camera to professional prior to the Olympics does it have to be registered before hand? A late March / early April registration suggests a July announcement (around the Olympics) and then shipping in Sept/Oct?

With both the R5 and R3 being heavily discounted by Canon dealers in the US the writing is on the wall that the R5 Mk2 and R1 are to be released this year.
Possible. I was just thinking the R7 and R10 were about 2 years old, which is Canon's historical consumer camera (Rebel) cadence. Then again, maybe not. Both bodies are still holding their own pretty nicely, and could probably go out another year, but competitors are progressing, too...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Possible. I was just thinking the R7 and R10 were about 2 years old, which is Canon's historical consumer camera (Rebel) cadence. Then again, maybe not. Both bodies are still holding their own pretty nicely, and could probably go out another year, but competitors are progressing, too...
There have been only three 7-series bodies in the past 15 years, so that cadence is not so predictable.

Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
There have been only three 7-series bodies in the past 15 years, so that cadence is not so predictable.
Fair enough. It has been a little fuzzy as far as body alignment in the classic EOS vs R series. There still seems to be a body missing at the midrange between the 7 and 10 to make the alignment closer, if you think of the R100 as the Tx, The R50 as the compact xxxD, the R10 as the Txi, there's still room for an XXD equivalent before getting to the R7. The R8 doesn't have a D equivalent, nor does the R3, as we're still waiting for an R1.

If we leave the R10 in the position of the Txi, then it should be due for a 2-year cadence refresh. If, on the other hand, it sits in the XXD position, then the cadence would be ~3 years, but then we're missing the Txi.

In any case, it's all speculation until it isn't. And isn't that really why we're all here? :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Fair enough. It has been a little fuzzy as far as body alignment in the classic EOS vs R series. There still seems to be a body missing at the midrange between the 7 and 10 to make the alignment closer,[...]
And to make it even more confusing, the R7 is more like the 90D than the 7DII, it moved towards the double digit models.

Upvote 0