Canon Patent Application: Filter system for Dual Fisheye

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In this patent application (2024-052503) Canon discusses replacing the gel filter at the back of a dual fisheye lens with something a little more robust and user-friendly. As you may know, the Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8 L Dual Fisheye uses a rear gel filter, but that can be problematic, and you must continually remove the

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
Sep 20, 2020
I do not understand why they do not use drop-in filters for ultra wide lenses.
They have been around for a long time.
Granted lenses would need to be a lot larger.
This solution might be better but drop-in filters seems like an easier solution.
Of course, the easiest solution would be to make new EF lenses again and those us who care would just use EF to RF adapters.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
If Canon goes with this type of switchable filter, they should introduce a mark ii version of the vr lens and have the rear mount area be removable so the filter types can be interchangeable. Then not only can they sell the lens but also dedicated filters at a premium. And extra brownie points if they can get a cpl to spin in there.

Upvote 0
What would be the use case for CPL with VR?
CPL with wide angle that includes the sky during the day is problematic... with the sky hard to avoid with this lens if recording outdoors.
answering my own question but perhaps a CPL to reduce reflections could be used to avoid reflections of elements behind the camera (tripod, people etc) from reflective surfaces in front of the camera. I haven't used the lens but I imagine it would be tricky to avoid unintended elements in frame.

Upvote 0