CANON U.S.A. INTRODUCES EOS-1D C DIGITAL SLR CAMERA FEATURING 4K HIGH-RESOLUTION VIDEO CAPTURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: READ THE PRESS RELEASE...

AG said:
Rishaar said:
dilbert said:
“The Canon EOS-1D C digital SLR camera was designed in response to the needs of filmmakers, television producers, and other high-level motion-imaging professionals,” stated Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A. “Not only does it combine 4K and Full HD video capture with a convenient design, its use of dual CF cards also offers an efficient workflow compatible with today’s post-production requirements.”

If you're not in that group of people above then why are you complaining about the price?

Clearly Canon understands who its target audience is and clearly some people would like to think they're part of a group that quite clearly they're not.

I understand your logic, but in this case why a DSLR? This isn't what "high-level motion-imaging professionals" need.
Thisisnot a specialized video camera, super basic features like SDI or XLR are missing, i mean even the display is 3:2, not even 16:9 !!
This is just an unlocked 1DX

I can clear this up easily.

Form Factor.

Take for example the episode of house that was shot on the 5D2, The reason why they used that camera was due to its size, it was able to produce nice pictures and be able to be positioned in awkward spots to attain the best angles. Something that you can not do with a camera in a rig/cage or large footprint (ARRI etc).

The 1D-C increases the viewing format but keeps the form factor.

Its that simple.

As for those bitching about the price, its like point & shoot users complaining the xD series are too expensive. When in reality an xxxD would suit their needs.

I'm with you. As a filmmaker I would love this camera. High resolution in a small dslr form factor. Also it'll do great stills. Sold! However, I can't afford it. Just because I can't afford it doesn't mean Canon are out their minds when pricing it at 15k. Just means I need to work on gaining better gigs.

Honestly there is no other camera like this. A 4k dslr that stores media on CF cards.

I also see people making mistakes when comparing this camera to others. Sony's FS700 looks amazing, however it won't have the form factor of the 1DX C and it's not just $8k. You have to buy an external recorder that will cost thousands. Does great slow-motion, but I'll take resolution over that.

The RED Scarlet cost more than $10 to put you in the position to shoot. Then you have to buy their expensive storage cards.

What I don't see being mentioned is the fact that these Canon cameras are editing ready. They're ready to be used in your NLE system now. For RED cameras you need to change up your entire workflow.

$15k is a bit steep, I'm thinking it'll drop to a little over $10k. If so, hopefully people will stop whining. Consumers seem to want it all at dirt cheap.

The best bargain is the FS100 right now. However if you want something that provides more, you're going to have to pay more. In all actuality, $15k is pretty cheap.

Upvote 0
The Sony FS700 is going to find a lot of happy homes, especially if the metabones adapter works for it. 300FPS slow-motion at 1080p, built in ND filters, future 4k upgrade, great low-light ability, $8,000 price tag. How can the C300 compete with the new Sony FS700 at twice the price with less features?

The C300 can't even do 1080 60p for christsakes.

Upvote 0
[/quote]

Working with 4k video isn't ideal for photojournalism in the slightest bit, it's complete overkill. It's just too much video power for someone that doesnt work in the production world. It would make way more sense for a photographer to get 2 1DX's and still be able to shoot great 1080p which is much easier to work with and performs exactly the same as the 1DC on the still side. This is a camera for the cinema world and nothing else. Anyone that is willing to buy this camera is going to be a serious filmmaker or a photographer with too much money, but it won't be a camera that tons of photographers run out and buy.
[/quote]

What about sports shooters?

Upvote 0
Ranga said:
Any thinking videographer/photographer would get 2 cameras for that price (unless of course they wanna show off their toys :D) 1D-X for stills and an FS700 for video would come to around $15k with more video friendly features from the FS700. FS700 gets you high frame rates/ND filters/XLR inputs/SDI. The reason HDDSLRs caught on was because of the price point.

Personally I would have opted for a lower mega pixel still camera with features slightly higher than the 60D.

That's exactly what I'm doing, and for those exact reasons, especially the XLR and frame rates. I couldn't care less about the 4K. When I stop doing regional tv commercial spots and start doing mass-market feature films for IMAX, I might change my tune.

Sorry Canon. Not interested. The vast majority of video producers on this planet are not going to be interested, either. I can afford it, but for $15K my $ is better spent elsewhere.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
BRNexus6 said:
The Sony FS700 is going to find a lot of happy homes, especially if the metabones adapter works for it. 300FPS slow-motion at 1080p, built in ND filters, future 4k upgrade, great low-light ability, $8,000 price tag. How can the C300 compete with the new Sony FS700 at twice the price with less features?

The C300 can't even do 1080 60p for christsakes.

Well people are buying the C300 so it can't be all that bad, can it?

Maybe the people that want to use the C300 don't care about 1080/60p or 4K upgrades?

Maybe the people that want to use the C300 see more in it for what they do than they do in the FS700?

And just maybe evaluating the worth of these cameras is not something that is easily done by looking at a pair of spec sheets and saying "this one has more bells and whistles and is more shiny, so therefore is better."

Why don't you write up a review of when you've used both the FS700 and C300 and put it on youtube or vimeo so that we can see how you demonstrate the superiority of one over the other?

Prove to me how the C300 isn't overpriced compared to the FS700.

Upvote 0
gibbygoo said:

If your a photojournalist you are not a "sports shooter" who takes video with your DSLR camera.

When they say photojournalist they mean (for example) the guy that is taking photos of the war in wherever. While they are there and they see an act of XYZ happening, they can quickly switch their camera to video shoot it, then via their 3G phone upload the video to their home office to broadcast to the world.

If it takes this guy 30 mins to send the footage back to home base when in the field and he is shooting 720p. How long do you think it will take on average to send a 4K file?

Sports shooters are a different breed. If they are taking photos they are not wanting to try and shoot video with their super telephoto lenses....and even less so at 4K. Their camera set ups are designed for one purpose and one purpose only. Taking photos.

If you are talking about sports shooters (video) then thats a completely different field.
These guys shoot large format cameras that are cabled to the main van in the carpark that broadcasts the footage to the main station for editing. They are not going to be using DSLRs, maybe Go Pros in places like the goals but not usually for live coverage (Tom Guilmette is the exception to this rule).

But on saying all this there is no point in shooting 4K in this realm until the average home can watch 4K on their TV etc.

Argument being that 4K is really only for cinemas at the moment.

Give it a few years to settle first.

We all remember the hoopla over 3D from last year.

Upvote 0
gibbygoo said:
Ranga said:
Any thinking videographer/photographer would get 2 cameras for that price (unless of course they wanna show off their toys :D) 1D-X for stills and an FS700 for video would come to around $15k with more video friendly features from the FS700. FS700 gets you high frame rates/ND filters/XLR inputs/SDI. The reason HDDSLRs caught on was because of the price point.

Personally I would have opted for a lower mega pixel still camera with features slightly higher than the 60D.

That's exactly what I'm doing, and for those exact reasons, especially the XLR and frame rates. I couldn't care less about the 4K. When I stop doing regional tv commercial spots and start doing mass-market feature films for IMAX, I might change my tune.

Sorry Canon. Not interested. The vast majority of video producers on this planet are not going to be interested, either. I can afford it, but for $15K my $ is better spent elsewhere.

If your recording on camera audio via XLR then these types of cameras really aren't for you.

Upvote 0
gene_can_sing said:
and NO FLIP SCREEN? WTF? That's close to the number 1 request from video people!

The whole point of a DSLR is freedom from using an external monitor when you don't have to, and that's why a flip screen is priceless.

Hmm, pulling focus accurately using the back of the camera is difficult whether it's a flip screen or not. It's just too small. I'd rather use my external monitor.

Upvote 0
Shane Hurlbut seems to like it. And that's putting in mildly

When you harness 4K into the small footprint of a 1D, give it the processing power to record to little CF cards with no external recording devices needed, then deliver an image that crushes the F65, Epic, Alexa in one fell swoop. Now that is where the WOW factor comes in.

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/04/the-next-gen-in-digital-film-capture-canons-4k-1dc/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HurlbutVisuals+%28Hurlbut+Visuals+Blog%3A+Hurlblog%29

Upvote 0
AG said:
gibbygoo said:

If your a photojournalist you are not a "sports shooter" who takes video with your DSLR camera.

Sorry, not sure what you're driving at there.
So, I shoot med-size jpgs for my local paper. My camera shoots 10fps. With the 1D C I can hit the record button for 24fps at 4k. That seems kind of awesome to me. Is there something that makes it impractical? I've got no problem downloading and scrubbing action clips from a game, selecting the critical moment and shit-canning the rest. What am I missing here?

Upvote 0
Watched what Shane did with this Camera and was blown away. Again it seems Canon's advantages can't be put on the spec sheet (C300 images looks way better than what the specs indicate). The images is just beautiful out of this camera, also skin tones.

$15k for a 4K camera that records internally on little CF cards is amazing. It does has cons, but I think it's not priced too high at all.

The Blackmagic camera got me exited until I found out the sensor size and watched the test videos here: http://vimeopro.com/johnbrawleytests/blackmagic-cinema-camera

Test videos are so soft etc.

Upvote 0
gibbygoo said:
AG said:
gibbygoo said:

Sorry, not sure what you're driving at there.
So, I shoot med-size jpgs for my local paper. My camera shoots 10fps. With the 1D C I can hit the record button for 24fps at 4k. That seems kind of awesome to me. Is there something that makes it impractical? I've got no problem downloading and scrubbing action clips from a game, selecting the critical moment and S___-canning the rest. What am I missing here?

Still don't think you grasp how taking stills from video are different from shooting stills. Sensor size etc.

Either way, from what your saying you want a 1D-X not the 1D-C, You can get our high FPS and have basic 1080p video functions for "those moments".

Sure there are plenty of people that would love 24fps continual shooting for photography, but then does that make you a good photographer if you are basically shooting video and snipping the best bits? Or is the basis of a good photographer someone who when using your limitations and shooting 6FPS you still manage to capture that shot?

Photographers nowadays take their skills for granted and rely way too much on auto everything, high fps etc (/old man rant off)

Upvote 0
Sure there are plenty of people that would love 24fps continual shooting for photography, but then does that make you a good photographer if you are basically shooting video and snipping the best bits?
[/quote]

The 1DX shoots half cinema frame rate right now at full raw. Is that OK with you? Will it not be OK when the 1DXII comes out in 2016 and shoots 30fps? Or is there something sacred about holding down a shutter button in burst mode vs. hitting a record button?

What makes me a great photographer is that I supply great images that sell. And "snipping the best bits" is exactly what you do whenever you shoot a continuous burst at whatever frame rate your imaging device can handle. In a practical sense, there is no difference between a record button and a shutter button.

Ya know what? I've answered my own questions about whether this would be good for sports, and the answer is hell yes, as long as the image quality standards are met for my clientel. End of story.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.