End of M line?

• Thread starter Deleted member 393686
  • Start date

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That lends credence to the idea that the R100 is imminent.

The M series is a great system, compact and able to deliver great images. Unfortunate that it’s ending, I won’t say I’m not surprised since it was a very popular system (at one point, 17% of all ILCs sold globally were M cameras).
In fact, you are probably very surprised. But, that's Canon for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That lends credence to the idea that the R100 is imminent.

The M series is a great system, compact and able to deliver great images. Unfortunate that it’s ending, I won’t say I’m not surprised since it was a very popular system (at one point, 17% of all ILCs sold globally were M cameras).
i like the design without viewfinder, also i take my camera for photos only, not video.
R100 might not be an ideal R replacement for me as its positioned for vlogging.

Upvote 0
Canon execs have given conflicting statements about the future of the EOS-M system. Some have said they will keep it going as long as it's profitable and others have said there are definite plans for future bodies and lenses, but EOS-R is the priority at this time. Canon doesn't have the manufacturing capacity to push both at this time, so I can see them pausing the M line and bringing it back several years from now, when they have the newer mirrorless system in a good place (bodies and lenses) and have completely moved on from the EF/EF-S system.

Upvote 0
Canon execs have given conflicting statements about the future of the EOS-M system. Some have said they will keep it going as long as it's profitable and others have said there are definite plans for future bodies and lenses, but EOS-R is the priority at this time. Canon doesn't have the manufacturing capacity to push both at this time, so I can see them pausing the M line and bringing it back several years from now, when they have the newer mirrorless system in a good place (bodies and lenses) and have completely moved on from the EF/EF-S system.
if their newer mirrorless system is in good place, which means R is good enough to take care the market for apsc and ff, what is the reason for them to launch back the m simultaneously? at some point we have to realise end is end.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
I still have a enormous soft spot for the M system. Having purchased all but 2 of the models canon released ( missing M200 & M50ii) and owning ALL the M lenses (plus duplicates) along with the Sigma 1.4 Triplets and more recently the China built cheap Manual ef-m lenses I’m pretty well invested - lol

There’s no possibility I will sell, I adore the M line. I’ve recently purchased a used RP along with ef-rf adapters and a few cheap used canon RF lenses. Yes amazing, but it doesn’t replace my M system.

Canon has made a huge error in abandoning M users and attempting to force them onto their R line. If I had to pick only one system I’d probably opt for the M system. I just love the smaller form factor regardless that it’s now virtually obsolete.

Canon should have given us the M7…a pro spec M6ii with built in EVF and articulated screen.

I came from the analogue era, so remember old manual cameras and BW home printing, needless I don’t take all this new technology for granted plus as I get older I really don’t want to start over again. The M system was perfect for the likes of me, people who appreciated the newer technology but didn’t want to be laden down with large, heavy and ridiculously expensive full frame lenses again!!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Well just picked up a ‘as new’ mint boxed M50ii for a silly low price (uk)
As much as I liked the RP I missed the smaller form factor of the m lenses. I already have the original M50 and the M6ii (infact besides missing the M200 I have the entire line up) I love the M50 but loved the M6ii AF system more but dislike the add on EVF. Buying the M50ii should give me the best of both worlds. I can’t wait to try it with the sigma 1.4 triplets (16.30 & 56mn) I’m also keen to pair it to my ef and ef-s lenses.

The cost of the R system has completely put me off.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I still have a enormous soft spot for the M system. Having purchased all but 2 of the models canon released ( missing M200 & M50ii) and owning ALL the M lenses (plus duplicates) along with the Sigma 1.4 Triplets and more recently the China built cheap Manual ef-m lenses I’m pretty well invested - lol

There’s no possibility I will sell, I adore the M line. I’ve recently purchased a used RP along with ef-rf adapters and a few cheap used canon RF lenses. Yes amazing, but it doesn’t replace my M system.

Canon has made a huge error in abandoning M users and attempting to force them onto their R line. If I had to pick only one system I’d probably opt for the M system. I just love the smaller form factor regardless that it’s now virtually obsolete.

Canon should have given us the M7…a pro spec M6ii with built in EVF and articulated screen.

I came from the analogue era, so remember old manual cameras and BW home printing, needless I don’t take all this new technology for granted plus as I get older I really don’t want to start over again. The M system was perfect for the likes of me, people who appreciated the newer technology but didn’t want to be laden down with large, heavy and ridiculously expensive full frame lenses again!!
I couldn't agree more + let those who have never flown try and carry on a few R bodies accompanied by sev heavy RF lenses. Then, let them take a selfie, showing the expression on their faces when the Carrier tells them "Too much weight!!" You'll have to check it. Hope they're carrying their nitro glycerin to help them through the moment.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I couldn't agree more + let those who have never flown try and carry on a few R bodies accompanied by sev heavy RF lenses. Then, let them take a selfie, showing the expression on their faces when the Carrier tells them "Too much weight!!" You'll have to check it. Hope they're carrying their nitro glycerin to help them through the moment.
I’ve flown many times with a 1D X and several L lenses (24-70/2.8, TS-E 17 and 24, 11-24), along with a 16” MacBook Pro and an iPad in carryon. More recently with an R3, 14-35/4, 24-105/4 and 100-500. My last trip was with an R8 instead of the pro body, but more lenses (14-35/4, 24-105/4, TS-E 17, 24/1.8, 28/2.8 and 100-400), plus 1 kg of loose Li-ion batteries (mainly for scuba dive lights). Never had an issue boarding, flights within North America and to/within Europe.

Apparently Asia is more strict, but last time I was there (over a decade ago), I carried on a gripped 5DII and multiple L lenses including the 16-35/2.8, 24-105/4, 70-200/2.8 II, TS-E 24 and 35/1.4. No issues then going to or within China, though I did choose to check the gear on the flight home (only time I’ve ever checked gear, but for that flight leg dealing with a different sort of carryon took precedence – our new 14-month old daughter we went to pick up).

Despite never having an issue with heavier gear, the M system is great for travel. Most trips I’m checking a bag, so my clothes and the tripod go in there. But on 1-2 day trips where I’m only bringing hand luggage, the an M body with the M11-22, M18-150 and M22/2 works very well.

Upvote 0