Flash Wise, What's Next

Sorry, not sure I'm following. You asked if the El-5 would be as good or better than the El-1, right? That's what I was responding to.
So what do you really compare the EL-5 to then. The 600EX II-RT (previous flagship) or the current flagship EL-1. Since the EL-1 is a new tier/ level of speedlites.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I should've said 600EX II-RT not EL-1. I was responding to 3 different forums regarding speedlites.
So you're asking if the EL-5 is better than the 600EX II-RT? If so, the answer is yes.

Not that I'm planning to replace my four 600EX-RT (MkI) flashes with EL-5s. I'll use the EL-5 when I need just an on-camera flash, and I'll use it or the ST-E10 as a master for the 600's in multi-light setups.

Upvote 0
So you're asking if the EL-5 is better than the 600EX II-RT? If so, the answer is yes.

Not that I'm planning to replace my four 600EX-RT (MkI) flashes with EL-5s. I'll use the EL-5 when I need just an on-camera flash, and I'll use it or the ST-E10 as a master for the 600's in multi-light setups.
I was asking what do you compare the EL-5 to. Do you compare it to the EL-1 or 430EX III-RT instead. Technically the EL-5 replaced the 600EX II-RT which was a flagship speedlite. The EL-1 is the 1st "L" series speedlite. Which is now a flagship model. I already expected it to be better than the EL-1.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
My friend's mom owns the EL-1 and is a wedding photographer. She also feels like the EL-1 is kind of extreme when the 600EX-RT or 600EX II-RT could do the job. But the Intermittent Flash Firing AF Assist Beam drains the batteries fast.*
Well, as Neuro said, it depends on if you need long durations of rapid firing. I've compared the EL-1 and 600EX II-RT during event shooting, and the EL-1 can keep up with 12 fps bursts with my R5 for as long as I need without ever needing a break.
If you don't need that kind of "firepower," then the 600s or the new EL-5 will work just fine.

*And just my opinion, but she should turn of the AF assist beam. It's really not necessary (at least in my experience) and creates a crazy pulsating series of flashes that probably drives people crazy LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The EL-1 is the 1st "L" series speedlite. Which is now a flagship model. I already expected it to be better than the EL-1.
Are you suggesting the ‘L’ in the EL flash designation is analogous to the L for ‘luxury’ lenses? It’s not.

Nor was it the first Canon EL flash – that was the EL-100, which launched in 2018 (around the time of the EOS R) at $200 and is essentially an upgraded 270EX II with swivel added.

I’d say the EL designation is just Canon’s way of making the nomenclature change obvious. EX flashes replaced EZ-series flashes with the advent of E-TTL metering, and before EZ flashes there was the E-series. That's as far back as my memory goes. For all series prior to the EL series, Canon used a model number based on flash power (e.g. 200E has a GN of 20 m, 430EX has a GN of 43 m, 600EX is 60 m, 90EX is 9 m, etc.).

The EL flashes are numbered like the EOS bodies, where the lower the number, the higher end the flash. Thus, the EL-1 is the flagship/top-of-the-line, and a three-digit number like the EL-100 denotes a consumer level flash. That means the positioning of the EL-5 is similar to that of the R5, a product aimed at advanced enthusiasts and perfectly suitable for professional use, as the 5-series camera bodies have been all along.

Upvote 0
Well, as Neuro said, it depends on if you need long durations of rapid firing. I've compared the EL-1 and 600EX II-RT during event shooting, and the EL-1 can keep up with 12 fps bursts with my R5 for as long as I need without ever needing a break.
If you don't need that kind of "firepower," then the 600s or the new EL-5 will work just fine.

*And just my opinion, but she should turn of the AF assist beam. It's really not necessary (at least in my experience) and creates a crazy pulsating series of flashes that probably drives people crazy LOL
When she turns off the AF Assist Beam on the speedlite. The camera emits it instead of the speedlite because the user turned it off. But in her experience if the camera can't get focus. It will keep flashing the body lamp and never lock focus. She's had this happen several times where the refused to lock focus.

Upvote 0
Are you suggesting the ‘L’ in the EL flash designation is analogous to the L for ‘luxury’ lenses? It’s not.

Nor was it the first Canon EL flash – that was the EL-100, which launched in 2018 (around the time of the EOS R) at $200 and is essentially an upgraded 270EX II with swivel added.

I’d say the EL designation is just Canon’s way of making the nomenclature change obvious. EX flashes replaced EZ-series flashes with the advent of E-TTL metering, and before EZ flashes there was the E-series. That's as far back as my memory goes. For all series prior to the EL series, Canon used a model number based on flash power (e.g. 200E has a GN of 20 m, 430EX has a GN of 43 m, 600EX is 60 m, 90EX is 9 m, etc.).

The EL flashes are numbered like the EOS bodies, where the lower the number, the higher end the flash. Thus, the EL-1 is the flagship/top-of-the-line, and a three-digit number like the EL-100 denotes a consumer level flash. That means the positioning of the EL-5 is similar to that of the R5, a product aimed at advanced enthusiasts and perfectly suitable for professional use, as the 5-series camera bodies have been all along.
I was suggesting the number in the name. Not "EL" being an "L" series speedlite. But there current EL system naming suggests it matches up with how the camera lineup naming is. EL-1 suggests top of the line. Just like the 1D series is top of the line. EL-5 would suggest something mid range like the R5 is. EL-100 suggests entry level like the R100.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was asking what do you compare the EL-5 to. ... The EL-1 is the 1st "L" series speedlite. Which is now a flagship model. I already expected it to be better than the EL-1.
I'm confused...or you are. Above, it seems like you're saying you expected the EL-5 to be better than the EL-1. Below, you're saying the EL-1 is the top and the EL-5 is mid-range. The latter is certainly the case, confusion aside.

But there current EL system naming suggests it matches up with how the camera lineup naming is. EL-1 suggests top of the line. Just like the 1D series is top of the line. EL-5 would suggest something mid range like the R5 is. EL-100 suggests entry level like the R100.

In summary, when the EL-1 launched it became the flagship and has a feature set that's clearly differentiating over the 600EX. The EL-5 is, in effect, an updated version of the 600EX with some improvements. The older EL-100 is an updated version of the 270EX with some improvements. What's missing from the current EL lineup is a replacement for the 430EX flash. Some time back, there was rumor of an EL-10 but that has not come to light yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm confused...or you are. Above, it seems like you're saying you expected the EL-5 to be better than the EL-1. Below, you're saying the EL-1 is the top and the EL-5 is mid-range. The latter is certainly the case, confusion aside.

In summary, when the EL-1 launched it became the flagship and has a feature set that's clearly differentiating over the 600EX. The EL-5 is, in effect, an updated version of the 600EX with some improvements. The older EL-100 is an updated version of the 270EX with some improvements. What's missing from the current EL lineup is a replacement for the 430EX flash. Some time back, there was rumor of an EL-10 but that has not come to light yet.
Disregard my first post about the EL-5 vs the EL-1. That was for a different forum. I frequently cross between Canon Rumors and Canon Community. I mixed the 2 websites up earlier. So there is no confusion about speedlites.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
my EL-5 shipped! now praying for a FW update to support it.
>1.0.4.1 update. Like you, I'm hoping it drops sooner rather than later, but Canon did say late June/Early July time frame. I speculated an earlier release of the EL-5 might push it up a bit. (hopefully). I'm not planning to get the EL-5 until Sept. I hope though that the new FW will include support for the flash, the ST-E10, plus the other goodies promised.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Canon did say during launch that the EL-1 is an L series flash, denoted by the red ring.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yes, but that’s not what the L in EL denotes. The EL-100 isn’t an L-series flash, nor is the LP-EL an L-series battery. ;)
I guess we can call it the top of the line speedlite. In reality that's what it is anyway. Just like EOS/ EF Mount doesn't necessarily mean AF. Canon does have specialized MF lenses such as TS-E and MP-E lenses. Which don't support AF.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I guess we can call it the top of the line speedlite. In reality that's what it is anyway.
Yes, that’s been my point all along.

Just like EOS/ EF Mount doesn't necessarily mean AF. Canon does have specialized MF lenses such as TS-E and MP-E lenses. Which don't support AF.
EF literally stands for Electro-Focus, and all EF lenses have AF. That’s why the TS-E lenses and the MP-E 65 don’t have ‘EF’ in their names. The -E denotes the electronic aperture.

Upvote 0
The point is, they are not EF lenses. They are compatible with the EF lens mount.
There simply EF Mount compatible. New people that I've come across learning photography. Think "L" lenses can't be variable aperture or not have a USM AF Motor but that's not true. Canon released a 70-300mm F/4-5.6L USM lens which has a variable aperture. Or the lens has a ring type USM AF Motor. But this isn't true at all. Canon's early lenses didn't even have ring type USM. Such as the 20-35mm F/2.8L lens. They had Arc Form Drive the predecessor to Micro Motor and USM at the time. The first USM lens was the original non-IS EF 300mm F/2.8L USM lens. But this lens was focus by wire for manual focus override. Canon hadn't come out with a clutch override system yet.

Upvote 0
I'd contact Canon and ask them about an update for the R5 C.
Thanks! I already did before I bought the thing. and.... I chatted with a sales spec online who said with the modern shoe it will be supported; then also followed up with CPS for the feature request as I keep seeing FW updates for the other models to support it. as the sales spec had no idea a fw update was needed. While I appreciate they are working on FW update for Late June.. they should have at least verified this little request. But because they are only including R5 updates to march. I am doubting it makes it in. we need to know when the next FW major fixes will be out... July? august? I can always resell the EL5 but was hoping for a cheer option to stay canon flash wise. My big wish/hope is really improved SF mode focusing and tools.

Upvote 0