Flowers and other Flora

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Zinnias in our 6'x6' patch.

I'm finding that the R5 does a much better job with reds than my previous 5Dx bodies. Hard, though, to predict which color profile is going to work best. In this case, only Portrait kept the reds of the scarlet pedals a bit under control. Still, I often struggle with vivid reds.
Zinnias.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Zinnias in our 6'x6' patch.

I'm finding that the R5 does a much better job with reds than my previous 5Dx bodies. Hard, though, to predict which color profile is going to work best. In this case, only Portrait kept the reds of the scarlet pedals a bit under control. Still, I often struggle with vivid reds.
View attachment 216224

Nice shot.

You can have any profile you want if you shoot raw. LR Has a half dozen Adobe profiles as well as all the in-camera profiles. I find Camera Standard and Adobe Landscape both work well with reds. The R5 is a bit prone to over-exposure on reds, so good to set exposure compensation at - 1/3 or -2/3 to make sure you have enough headroom to recover the red highlights.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It's very popular ornamental plant around, I did ID it before but right now I can't recall it...
Found it: Murraya paniculata - "Orange Jasmine" or "Mock Orange".
Have no idea why "orange" - probably because of the fruit... Has nothing to do with the real Jasmine but smells by far stronger. In some nights with almost no wind it could be overwhelming...

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Found it: Murraya paniculata - "Orange Jasmine" or "Mock Orange".
Have no idea why "orange" - probably because of the fruit... Has nothing to do with the real Jasmine but smells by far stronger. In some nights with almost no wind it could be overwhelming...
Thanks. That is different from what is normally sold as Mock Orange, which is deciduous and cold hardy, whereas this one is a tropical evergreen and not frost tolerant. Both are nice to smell, though. Here on the Oregon coast, it occasionally gets a bit chilly for Orange Jasmine and arguably not cold enough for Mock Orange (although it would probably grow), but Daphne is very happy and offers somewhat similar fragrance along with extreme deer resistance.

Upvote 0