Good SDHC card for canon 60D

92101media

I believe all consumer/enthusiast DSLRs have a video time limit of around 12 minutes when shot in max quality. IIRC, it's something to do with different licensing fees or taxes based on the class of device that would make it significantly more expensive if it was able to record more than 12 minutes, rather than a technical limitation.

Check to see how long it's been recording for the next time it stops, or some video clips you already have where that occurred. If it occurred around the 12 minute mark, no SDHC card will be able to help you, it's a limitation of the DSLR body you are using. If it occurs well before the 12 minute mark, then it may well be that your SDHC card can't keep up, though if your SDHC card does perform to its claimed Class 10 rating, then that shouldn't be an issue. You could try researching some SDHC benchmarking tools to benchmark your SDHC card to determine if it's performing up to its claimed Class 10 rating.

Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
It's hard to beat this SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 (although only the T3i can benefit from that currently)... Up to 90MB/s write speed... It's hard to imagine a 32GB card for $126.50!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824140-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_032G_A75_32GB_EXTREME_PRO_SDHC_UHS_1.html

Upvote 0

92101media

Old Shooter said:
It's hard to imagine a 32GB card for $126.50!

The old version of the SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro (45MB/s speed vs claimed 95MB/s for the new version) was about the same price ... and I bought 2 of them!! My understanding is that the Extreme Pro versions of the SanDisk cards have the electronic components inside 'potted' with epoxy, which is what enables them to be dustproof, shockproof, waterproof & X-ray proof. It was an expensive purchase, and a tough pill to swallow, but for irreplaceable travel photos, occasional use in a GoPro HD scuba diving @ 100ft etc., it was worth it to me for the increased peace of mind & durability.

Upvote 0
H

handsomerob

60D manual says : 330MB/min = 5.5MB/sec for HD filming both in 720 and 1080 modes.

So technically, in your case for video, any SDHC card with more than 5.5MB/sec minimum write speed is overkill.

A fast card would save you a lot of time while transferring those huge videos to your PC so I would recommend getting one anyway. I would skip the fastest cards though, to save some cash to spend on a decent card reader, which will get you closer to the maximum speed of your card while transferring files.

Your card will be formatted as FAT32 for your camera to use it and this file format has a maximum file size (for a single file) of 4GB. This is why you need to stop filming after 12mins, because at a rate of 330MB/min, it would take 12mins to get to 4GB. Like others said, you can start filming again, this obviously creates a new video file, then you have another 12mins until the file size limit is reached again.

Upvote 0
Old Shooter said:
It's hard to beat this SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 (although only the T3i can benefit from that currently)... Up to 90MB/s write speed... It's hard to imagine a 32GB card for $126.50!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824140-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_032G_A75_32GB_EXTREME_PRO_SDHC_UHS_1.html

Agreed i use 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro's in both my 60D and 5D2.

Fantastic cards and have never skipped a beat shooting video, which is handy because the 60D gets mighty hot when shooting to the 29.59min mark.

OP the reason why your PNY card is playing up is because the Class X system is not clear cut.
This is why these cheap cars can pass at higher ratings than they can handle.

General rule of thumb is buy the fastest cards you can afford, from a reputable brand (but you can check eBay and similar, some camera place have genuine stock @ good prices on there sometimes - always check the reputation) and if shooting video instead of buying just 1x32GB buy 2x16GB instead, that way if you do have any issues with the card you don't loose ALL your footage.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
Rob Galbraith has a great compact flash/SD card performance database. It hasn't been updated in a while, but it'll give oyu a pretty good idea of what works. I've linked you to the entry for the 50D, but in general I find the card reader performance tests to be the most useful.

In general, there have been several notices in the past about Lexar cards having various issues with Canon cameras, so I tend to avoid them. Usually I just buy to of the fastest/largest SanDisk card I can afford.

Looking further into the issue, the 60D seems to have a 4GB file size limit, which at the 330MB/min data rate listed in the table works out to be a little over 12 minutes. I suspect that this is the reason that your videos are stopping, not the speed of your storage card.

I've never messed with the video features of a DSLR before, but if you can get the thing to shoot 720p at 30 or 24 fps (maybe there's a firmware update that will allow this if your camera doesn't do it already?) then you should be able to double your recording time.

Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
funkboy said:
In general, there have been several notices in the past about Lexar cards having various issues with Canon cameras, so I tend to avoid them. Usually I just buy to of the fastest/largest SanDisk card I can afford.

It's funny you should mention that... When I bought my first digital (XSi) I bought two Lexar Professional cards. One would shoot a certain number of frames and then completely lock up. When I called their Customer Service, they said I couldn't format the card in the camera; that I had to use the disk utility on Windows XP. That seemed to solve the problem, but I have never bought Lexar again. My new SanDisk Extreme Pro works flawlessly; regardless of where I format it...

Upvote 0
Z

Zuuyi

The reason why all the cameras stop at 4GB is because they are Fat 32 format not NTFS format. The max the camera would allow is 29mins 59secs; I'm guessing that is in a much lower resolution.

That's why the T3 length is 17 mins instead of 12 mins (1280x720 instead of 1920x1080).

Once they go from Fat 32 to NTFS then all the problems will end or if they do a Raid 0 type setup in dual card cameras it would solve the problem too.

Upvote 0