How long is Canon going to support your camera?

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Useless. I was looking to buy a 2nd hand EOS R for hobby photos, but given the lack of 3rd party affordable lens options, I will go to Sony A7III.
Unbelievably dumb decision by Canon to push people away from their system. And then they wonder why Sony gains market share :))
Recently escaped from the dpr comments section?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
For me I am happy if Canon supports a camera for 6 years past its last day of availability, which should be about 10 years total. Typically, I upgrade a camera every other model increment, which means I upgrade every 6-8 years. For lens, I would much prefer a much longer time of support of 10 years post it last year of production. Honestly, I tend to keep lens until they stop functioning.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
For me I am happy if Canon supports a camera for 6 years past its last day of availability, which should be about 10 years total. Typically, I upgrade a camera every other model increment, which means I upgrade every 6-8 years. For lens, I would much prefer a much longer time of support of 10 years post it last year of production. Honestly, I tend to keep lens until they stop functioning.
Yep, the two most important things to consider when buying gear, are the sensor and the lens. Get the best sensor and the best lenses that you can afford. They (and the firmware) are what determines the image quality. Everything else is there just to make the process of taking photographs easier and more enjoyable.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
The 80D gets a longer service life than the 1DX II? How does that make sense?
To support a camera, Canon needs parts. CFast didn't catch, so Canon might have a hard time outsourcing memory slots. Canon seems to be settling on 24MP sensors, e.g. R3 and R6mkII, so it might be easier to keep on manufacturing the 80D's 24MP sensor than the 1DX II's 20.1MP sensor.

My guess is owners of a 1DX II owners are more likely to stick with Canon if the camera breaks down than 80D owners.

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Canon seems to be settling on 24MP sensors, e.g. R3 and R6mkII, so it might be easier to keep on manufacturing the 80D's 24MP sensor than the 1DX II's 20.1MP sensor.

R's sensors are fullframe 24mpx, 80D is aps-c 24mpx, they're totally different sensors, there's no manufacturing advantage; I'm pretty sure that also my R10 24mpx sensor is somewhat different from the 80D sensor, so also no advantage among sensor of same size with same mpx.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Useless. I was looking to buy a 2nd hand EOS R for hobby photos, but given the lack of 3rd party affordable lens options, I will go to Sony A7III.
Unbelievably dumb decision by Canon to push people away from their system. And then they wonder why Sony gains market share :))
I always shake my head when I read a post like this. Sony love plain and simple. Go get your Sony - nobody here will care. We will just shake our heads because, not only does Canon have some nice inexpensive lenses for the RF mount (better for their price consumer lenses than Sony) but you choose to ignore the fact that you can get used PRO quality EF lenses, cheaper than 3rd party lenses, for your R system camera right now.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
The 80D gets a longer service life than the 1DX II? How does that make sense?
Maybe because folks buying more inexpensive cameras like the 80D are more casual users than a pro photographer, and likely to hold on to their cameras until they no longer work - maybe 10-12 years if they are lucky. Pros or high-end enthusiasts who bought the 1DX II will have already probably gone well past their expected shutter count and have probably already upgraded. That's my reasoning anyway.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the R5 isn't perfect, but it does almost everything I want/need, and I'd happily buy another one if/when mine expires. I'll be very interested to see the specs of the eventual replacement, but it would take a major sensor upgrade to convince me that I'd gain enough to make a "R5 Mkii" worthwhile. There's very little to complain about regarding R5 image quality, but a bump to 90MP with no loss of image quality *might* convince me to upgrade eventually.
What I meant was buy the latest Mark of the R5 at the time of malfunction.

A dozen years of support from the day of release is rather standard.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
To support a camera, Canon needs parts. CFast didn't catch, so Canon might have a hard time outsourcing memory slots. Canon seems to be settling on 24MP sensors, e.g. R3 and R6mkII, so it might be easier to keep on manufacturing the 80D's 24MP sensor than the 1DX II's 20.1MP sensor.
Economies of scale are a real factor, so with all manufacturers you tend to see the same (or tweaked) sensors used in multiple bodies. Not always the case but that's the norm. There's nothing magic about the 24 number though. And FF sensors are very different from APS-C sensors, even if they are both 24mp.

The same tech can be re-used in different sized sensors though, but you'd get different mp counts. E.g. Sony makes 61mp FF sensors, 100mp crop MF sensors and 150mp FF MF sensors and they're all cut from the same wafers (i.e. the single pixels are the same).
My guess is owners of a 1DX II owners are more likely to stick with Canon if the camera breaks down than 80D owners.
Yes, but I think that's more due to the fact that the owners of high-end bodies tend to have a bigger lens arsenal than owners of low-end bodies. Lenses are "stickier" than bodies

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 7, 2020
Canon has been more than fair to me in terms of support and service. They fixed my 24-70 2.8 mk.1 despite it being on their obsolete or unsupported list. Obviously I don't know the extent to which that cooperation will go, but I'm glad it wasn't just a black/white case of if its on they list they refused me service. They had the parts, so they fixed it.

I've also found it matters who your technician is. I really appreciated how mine folded in a bunch of minor repairs that weren't the major failure I sent it in for. They could've skipped it and charged me more money for a separate repair later down the road.

Upvote 0

photographer

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 17, 2020
I always shake my head when I read a post like this. Sony love plain and simple. Go get your Sony - nobody here will care. We will just shake our heads because, not only does Canon have some nice inexpensive lenses for the RF mount (better for their price consumer lenses than Sony) but you choose to ignore the fact that you can get used PRO quality EF lenses, cheaper than 3rd party lenses, for your R system camera right now.
You are only partially right. I would now like to have the choice that SONY owners have and buy a Tamron 35-150 for situations where I don't want to lug around a case full of primes.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You are only partially right. I would now like to have the choice that SONY owners have and buy a Tamron 35-150 for situations where I don't want to lug around a case full of primes.
That choice comes at the cost of Sony not allowing 3rd party lenses to work properly, like artificially limiting the drive speed. It's sadly not surprising that the online camera outrage machine never mentions that.

Still, you can actually use that lens, which is better than not having it at all.

Upvote 0

photographer

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 17, 2020
That choice comes at the cost of Sony not allowing 3rd party lenses to work properly, like artificially limiting the drive speed. It's sadly not surprising that the online camera outrage machine never mentions that.

Still, you can actually use that lens, which is better than not having it at all.
If it worked the same as, for example, the SIGMA ART 20 or 105 (EF) on the Canon R body, that would be enough for me.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
A few thoughts.

It's always interesting to compare systems and models, and perfectly natural to be envious of certain aspects of specification, or of certain lenses that our own cameras may not offer, but I just don't understand what goes on in the minds of brand-warriors. If the "other guy" is enjoying using his Sony, Nikon, Panasonic or whatever, that's fantastic.

I really hope that the tribalism and internet warfare that dragged the comments section of dpreview into the gutter doesn't find a home here. Enjoy your own gear folks, but don't fall into the trap of denigrating other people's choices.

Upvote 0

photographer

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 17, 2020
A few thoughts.

It's always interesting to compare systems and models, and perfectly natural to be envious of certain aspects of specification, or of certain lenses that our own cameras may not offer, but I just don't understand what goes on in the minds of brand-warriors. If the "other guy" is enjoying using his Sony, Nikon, Panasonic or whatever, that's fantastic.

I really hope that the tribalism and internet warfare that dragged the comments section of dpreview into the gutter doesn't find a home here. Enjoy your own gear folks, but don't fall into the trap of denigrating other people's choices.
I'm not a teenager to fight over a brand of camera. :) As a user, I would just like it if Canon allowed third parties to make RF lenses. But I understand why he didn't.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm not a teenager to fight over a brand of camera. :) As a user, I would just like it if Canon allowed third parties to make RF lenses. But I understand why he didn't.
But Canon does allow 3rd parties to make RF lenses, just look at the 20+ different RF lenses Laowa produces. @Czardoom can copy/paste his longer response about how people should stop regurgitating disinformation :)

Upvote 0