So what is that fifth unreleased camera that Canon has registered?

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
If we had a betting pool, I would bet on that!
That actually makes a lot of sense. G7x IIIs are not being discounted anywhere and G5x IIs that are still in inventory are selling well over list. A real kicker would be a 1" compact with a Canon DPAF sensor. Canon makes 1" 4k sensors for video cams, but a high res sensor for a compact still cam would be new territory and I suspect it would sell very well. The lenses on both the G5x II and G5x III are among the best in class, so all that is needed is a DPAF sensor with DigicX and the latest AF software. I would buy one and I suspect quite few others here would as well. Given the current level of competition, it is hard to see Canon buying more Sony sensors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
That actually makes a lot of sense. G7x IIIs are not being discounted anywhere and G5x IIs that are still in inventory are selling well over list. A real kicker would be a 1" compact with a Canon DPAF sensor. Canon makes 1" 4k sensors for video cams, but a high res sensor for a compact still cam would be new territory and I suspect it would sell very well. The lenses on both the G5x II and G5x III are among the best in class, so all that is needed is a DPAF sensor with DigicX and the latest AF software. I would buy one and I suspect quite few others here would as well. Given the current level of competition, it is hard to see Canon buying more Sony sensors.
I find it strange that here on CR many speak highly of the G7X and G5X series, yet no one seems to give a toss about the G1X series. Personally I find the G1XIII a very fine little camera.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I find it strange that here on CR many speak highly of the G7X and G5X series, yet no one seems to give a toss about the G1X series. Personally I find the G1XIII a very fine little camera.
Yes, the G1x III is a nice camera, but it isn't any more pocketable than an M5 or M6 II and the lens is fairly slow, whereas the G5 II and G7 III are truly pocketable cameras with decently fast lenses. The pocketable market is the the one that is currently under served, particularly by Canon.

Upvote 0
My theory is that it could be a retro-styled model that is a rehoused current model. Which would explain the older wifi.
It could be an AE1-styled EOS R10 for instance (like Nikon's Z fc). It could also be something like Fuji's TikTok hype X100V, an APS-C with integrated 35mm equiv. lens.
Canon has been playing around with retro designs in the past, like the EOS M6 II with silver/black housing. And I'm sure they are aware of Fuji's success in that market.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Yes, the G1x III is a nice camera, but it isn't any more pocketable than an M5 or M6 II and the lens is fairly slow, whereas the G5 II and G7 III are truly pocketable cameras with decently fast lenses. The pocketable market is the the one that is currently under served, particularly by Canon.
The G1Xiii is much more pocketable than an M5 or 6, assuming those bodies have a lens attached. It’s about the same size as the G5X original. However, regarding your ‘pocketable’ points, it’s interesting that Canon changed the original G5X design to a genuinely (pants) pocketable design with the G5Xii, and as they are likely to know their market I guess that’s more what people want in a camera like that.
Personally though, I find the APS-c sensor size much better than 1” when using it as a substitute for FF, and this is where the G1Xiii shines.
So fingers crossed for a mark IV

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
The G1Xiii is much more pocketable than an M5 or 6, assuming those bodies have a lens attached. It’s about the same size as the G5X original. However, regarding your ‘pocketable’ points, it’s interesting that Canon changed the original G5X design to a genuinely (pants) pocketable design with the G5Xii, and as they are likely to know their market I guess that’s more what people want in a camera like that.
Personally though, I find the APS-c sensor size much better than 1” when using it as a substitute for FF, and this is where the G1Xiii shines.
So fingers crossed for a mark IV
No argument about the benefits of the larger sensor, but truly pocketable is a market unto itself if the result is better than a phone. The 1/2.3 sensors are history (other than very specialized applications like the Olympus TG family), but 1" or larger is clearly in demand. For a fixed lens camera, there is really no constraint on sensor size other than making the camera small, so Canon would be free to invent a new sensor size if they so chose, Kind of like the G1X mark II that used part of an APS-c sensor. 2/3 of an R7 sensor would make a nice image and the lens would still be small enough for a pocketable camera.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I think you'll find that's called an R5 or soon to be an R5II.
I think you miss my point. R5 is aimed for professionals therefore it's more "old school". I'd ask for something innovative. Get rid od the M/Tv/Av, just perfect the Fv mode. Make C-modes that I can name and make ten of them or more.
I also said that the size of the original R was perfect. The R6 feels bigger and the R5 is just too big for me (yes, millimetres matter). I also wouldn't expect the combined arrow/dial on an R5 series camera. Also the price point of the R5 is beyond my budget.
It's fine if the R5 is just for you :) I just described my wish.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
They are alive and the Powershot V10 is a DS camera.
BTW I have been told that the R6 II has WiFi 5.
That would mean the third camera could be anything under the R5 II.
I'm not sure WiFi 6 has that much to offer for a camera in most scenarios. The deep modulation that produces high bit rate has very limited range and the chipset will chew up more power. If you are standing next to the router and want to livestream it could be useful, but that is a narrow application.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm not sure WiFi 6 has that much to offer for a camera in most scenarios. The deep modulation that produces high bit rate has very limited range and the chipset will chew up more power. If you are standing next to the router and want to livestream it could be useful, but that is a narrow application.
For me, it’s not so much performance, but being able to phase out wpa2 SSIDs in my house.

But seeing how Canon really doesn’t want you to connect the camera to an AP, I suspect that point is almost moot now.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
For me, it’s not so much performance, but being able to phase out wpa2 SSIDs in my house.

But seeing how Canon really doesn’t want you to connect the camera to an AP, I suspect that point is almost moot now.
Glad to live in a place were such concerns don't arise. An exclusive WPA3 router would eliminate access to all but the very latest devices. Not very practical for IOT (cameras being one of the Things).

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
When we built the house 10 years ago, I fully wired it with CAT6A and I avoid IOT like the plague, so wireless is basically just for the convenience of guests.
8 years ago here and cat5e (communication error with the electrician), but there are a few wifi only ‘smart’ things that I haven’t found a cost effective replacement for.

Upvote 0
I think you miss my point. R5 is aimed for professionals therefore it's more "old school". I'd ask for something innovative. Get rid od the M/Tv/Av, just perfect the Fv mode. Make C-modes that I can name and make ten of them or more.

That would not go down too well getting rid of M/Tv/Av, why remove perfectly useful features that have been available for years that are industry standard? But I do agree with more C-modes and the option to give them a name.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
A huge advance in home connectivity...
View attachment 216606
The WiFi is for guests who have those silly smart phones. I still have a nice reliable flip phone and it has no need for WiFi ;). My computer has a 32in screen, so an ethernet cable is not an inconvenience and it supports my 2 Gb fiber connection much more effectively than WiFi.

Upvote 0