image.canon 10GB service will be terminated on October 31, 2024

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
With a QNAP NAS, your only real option for non-laptop travel is to have a beefy Android phone or tablet (large number of CPU cores and large amount of RAM) loaded with a large-capacity microSD card (512GB-1.5TB) for dumping pics/video, via WiFi or connecting the device to a USB card reader that works with whatever card your camera uses. Later, you can connect the phone or tablet to a high-speed WiFi network and use the Qfile Pro app to upload your files to the NAS, while the phone or tablet is plugged into a high-powered charger for full power and performance during uploading. When you know your files are uploaded, you can wipe them from the microSD card and repeat as needed.

I may try doing it this way.

I wish the Canon Connect app would link to QNAP Cloud or even Backblaze. Oh well, can't have everything!

I use a Z Fold 5 with 1TB, so space isn't an issue. Maybe the QFile app can auto upload from specific folders on the phone. I guess I know what I'll be messing around with this weekend.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
With a QNAP NAS, your only real option for non-laptop travel is to have a beefy Android phone or tablet (large number of CPU cores and large amount of RAM) loaded with a large-capacity microSD card (512GB-1.5TB) for dumping pics/video, via WiFi or connecting the device to a USB card reader that works with whatever card your camera uses. Later, you can connect the phone or tablet to a high-speed WiFi network and use the Qfile Pro app to upload your files to the NAS, while the phone or tablet is plugged into a high-powered charger for full power and performance during uploading. When you know your files are uploaded, you can wipe them from the microSD card and repeat as needed.
[I need a fingers-crossed emoji here.]

...somewhere I have a Canon-branded SD card...16MB?

It goes back a quarter-century or so, I guess.

So like many reading this, I have had more than two decades of experience with SD (and CF) cards...experience with what must be dozens of cards (if I include my immediate and extended family members, maybe a hundred or so?!).

In all of that time, I had not had a single failure with a CF card; I have had exactly one standard-size SD card fail (the plastic enclosure sort of broke).

I cannot say that I have had the same success when it comes to microSD cards; in my hands, I have had a small number of these (3-5?) fail (as in rendered unusable) and a handful of cases where properly seating the microSD card into an SD adapter proved problematic.

Mind you...not a huge failure rate for my microSD cards...but a failure rate much greater than that of standard-size SD cards.

I trust standard-size SD cards; I do not trust microSD cards (and their adapters)

To be fair, a 512 GB microSD card resided in a Dell XPS 13 for 2-3 years, and was replaced by a 1TB card about a year ago. Both have worked flawlessly.

But my 'luck' with microSD cards in a small number of Android tablets (including Amazon fire tablets), a Microsoft 2-in-1, and an mp3 player has not been good at all.

Once I contacted the name-brand manufacturer of a broken microSD card--they sent me another one no questions asked.

So I am unable to recommend moving files from camera to tablet etc. by fiddling around with a microSD card, adapters, and Android tablets. Maybe it is me and my grubby fingers...and YMMV.

But the topic here is a good one, and an important one. When using my (single card slot) Ms, I never count on 'getting' the images until I've moved them somewhere else.

[Again, I need a fingers-crossed emoji here, with a look to the electronics gods for guidance and strength.]

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I may try doing it this way.

I wish the Canon Connect app would link to QNAP Cloud or even Backblaze. Oh well, can't have everything!
...so much of this stuff is use-dependent--Camera Connect to an iPhone works well, for a small number of image files, even if only used occasionally.

I just tested it myself (iPhone 12 ProMax from M6MkII...using home WiFi). I probably move files this way a 4-6 times a year. In a pinch, out in the wild, it has saved my butt as far as getting travel pix to friends. But these are small numbers of 'normal' jpegs...

Today, the Canon software worked without a hitch).

Are you moving a large number of photo files? Hundreds? Thousands? RAW?

Are you moving (huge) video files?

This area is clearly one that Canon could lead. For all I know, maybe they are already and I am unaware...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
...so much of this stuff is use-dependent--Camera Connect to an iPhone works well, for a small number of image files, even if only used occasionally.

I just tested it myself (iPhone 12 ProMax from M5MkII...using home WiFi). I probably move files this way a 4-6 times a year. In a pinch, out in the wild, it has saved my butt as far as getting travel pix to friends. But these are small numbers of 'normal' jpegs...

Today, the Canon software worked without a hitch).

Are you moving a large number of photo files? Hundreds? Thousands? RAW?

Are you moving (huge) video files?

This area is clearly one that Canon could lead. For all I know, maybe they are already and I am unaware...

I am discovering that Camera Connect for Android won't transfer RAW files.

I generally like to offsite backup a selection of images when travelling, not everything. I don't ever erase cards until I get home, but added backup is good.

The QFile app auto backup works like a charm. Now to get CR3 files instead of JPGs!

On to solving the next problem!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Do you really need an app for that? Isn't the camera's built-in FTP transport enough?

It costs money to use Canon's FTP transfer service.

I just need to figure out how to get CR3 files to Android and the QNAP app will handle the rest. A USB cable to a CFe reader works (y), but I'd like to figure out something without a wire.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Not Canon's. QNAPs.

Can't you configure your camera to send the CR3 files onto your NAS directly via FTP(S)?
Well, in theory yes. My modem doesn't have a bridge mode and I have stupid Google Wifi and can't get the ports open (holding out for wifi 7 mesh). New modem ordered... I'll be waiting a while on the new router.

That said.. I'm going to try an FTP server on my phone and see how that goes.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Has anyone set up FTP transfer with the connect app to a QNAP NAS?

I don't have a camera to try, but shouldn't be difficult, although FTP can be tricky for non IT people to configure across NAT. Moreover plain FTP transfers everything without encryption, thus if you're using an untrusted network it is a risk. FTPS does encryption, but one needs to generate and install the proper certificate (if your FTP server supports Let's Encrypt it may be far easier). SFTP uses the SSH protocol, non FTP, and may be easier to use - just forward port 22 on the router - one needs an SSH server, not an FTP one, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
It should come as no surprise, but it looks like the end of the image.canon service. With so many photo storage options, the service never really fit. Please take this communication as notice that the long term 10GB storage service will be terminated on October 31, 2024. If you have original images in 10GB storage,

See full article...
Just got a message they are terminating the Cloud RAW image processing service also.

image.canon will terminate the Cloud RAW image processing service in September 2024.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding.

Prior to termination of the service, we will terminate the ability to purchase the following plans on May 8, 2024.

[Plans]

・Neural network Image Processing by image.canon monthly (31 days) plan

・Neural network Image Processing by image.canon Additional Plan

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Just got a message they are terminating the Cloud RAW image processing service also.
It was unclear to me why it was a subscription to start with and furthermore, why it was running in the cloud.

I don’t mind batch processing hundreds of pictures through dxo/topaz/LR, but having to upload them to someone else’s computer,trust they won’t get stolen/copied/used for AI and then download a huuuuge TIFF sounds like crazy talk to me.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
It was unclear to me why it was a subscription to start with and furthermore, why it was running in the cloud.

I don’t mind batch processing hundreds of pictures through dxo/topaz/LR, but having to upload them to someone else’s computer,trust they won’t get stolen/copied/used for AI and then download a huuuuge TIFF sounds like crazy talk to me.

It might make sense if your device has not such processing power, but usually it's the training part that requires a lot of computation resources, once the model is built it can often run on smaller hardware. But companies wish to move as much as they can on their system so you need to pay a subscription to do anything - steady cash flow it's what business like. It looks anyway the flow was not good enough, so Canon is shutting it down. Not everyone is Adobe.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It might make sense if your device has not such processing power, but usually it's the training part that requires a lot of computation resources, once the model is built it can often run on smaller hardware. But companies wish to move as much as they can on their system so you need to pay a subscription to do anything - steady cash flow it's what business like. It looks anyway the flow was not good enough, so Canon is shutting it down. Not everyone is Adobe.
Looking at what I get for the $10-ish per month from Adobe and what other subscriptions deliver, I’d say almost no one is Adobe.

And then there’s the DxOs of the world, where you don’t have a subscription, but new features require purchasing the yearly update.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Moving from an hardware to software company is not easy at all - especially when you show how "well" you can handle an FTP implementation in your WiFi adapters and camera <G>. Jokes aside, half-hearted investments rarely succeeded. IMHO if Canon wants to offset the reduces sales of camera selling software products has to invest far more and deliver something far more appealing - and ensure integration with its cameras is really smooth.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0