So what is that fifth unreleased camera that Canon has registered?

Sep 17, 2014
Maybe most logical: R100 II, its specs were so DOA
Maybe most wanted: R7 II, to make everything better for the top APS-C, not sure about that. But wouldn't be that WiFi 6, too?
My most wanted: an R8 II in an R50 sized body for travel, most unlikely ;)
I say R100 II is the LEAST logical. Canon never really cared about specs being DOA. They will still sell truckloads of the R100, not just to people but also photo-boots. They will not replace a less than a year old camera.

My wish: M6 II replacement with RF-S mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Please be a G1XIV. My mark iii is currently my most used camera for personal use, it really is very good. The only problem is I can’t see how Canon could make it better without sacrificing its tiny size. The current one genuinely drops into a jacket pocket, and the IQ is top notch.

Upvote 0
Given that the ID numbers seem to usually count upwards (maybe that's just anecdotal?), and the fact that this ID number is actually lower than the other ones registered (DS126904 being the newly registered one, DS126928 and DS126922 being the ones registered in March and February), would that imply that maybe this newly registered body has been in the development process a bit longer than these other cameras? Part of me wonders if this was in the development pipeline a while ago and got put on hold, only to be revisited now. Maybe there's an older rumour that never came to fruition that this could be?

Upvote 0

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
Canon has very little market share in India AFAIK and see for reasons unclear to me. To me it seems that they are not even interested in increasing their market share which is dominated by Nikon and lately, Sony! It is sad for me ! There is a huge market for $ 1000- 2500 range cameras and lenses. Every year when I go to India on my annual trip to home- I carry quite a few Canon gears ordered by my friends and families ( marketed by me). Prices are higher too compared to US !

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I’d like to see an RP mark II. Wouldn’t need too many improvements. Maybe silent shutter, IBIS and throw in the old eos R/5d mark iv sensor for a slight quality boost. Couple extra frames per second wouldn’t hurt. And no record limit even if it can only limp along in 4k. Camera like that would do wonders for brand building in new markets.

Upvote 0
Why everyone is hoping for RPii in the name of R9? That’s R8. By the time goes, R8 will be cheaper and takeover RP’s spot.

Hoping for R100ii is a even crazier thought, there’s R50 and R10.

So it has to be a EVF-less camera, just not sure if it’ll be FF or APS-C. I hope it’s a 24MP FF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
David's sussed it out: Canon hitting us with the unexpected M6III knockout blow!
Although the focus (!) is obviously on R mount (and within this forum), Canon still have DLSRs in their product line
https://personal.canon.jp/product/camera/eos
https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/cameras/dslr-cameras

Besides 1DXiii/5Div and 6Dii (Canon USA), there is still the
90D (5 years old)
Kiss X90/SL3/250D/200Dii (5 years old)
Kiss X10/Rebel T7/2000D (6 years old) => still under USD500 with a lens!

I don't expect the 90D to be refreshed as the R8 hits that price point now but the others could be refreshed.

With the cheapest R mount body being the aging RP between USD900-1000 since 2020, there is still market segmentation for cheaper ILCs under that price point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why everyone is hoping for Rapid in the name of R9? That’s R8. By the time goes, R8 will be cheaper and takeover RP’s spot.
Weirdly enough, canon price watch doesn't include the R8 but...

Current B&H pricing of USD1400 (with discount) is still 40-50% more expensive than the RP's pricing over the last 4 years.
Interesting that the R8's price has already been discounted within 12 months of release.

Canon may (in their wisdom) discontinue the RP but it is unlikely that the R8 will hit the RP's price level until end-of-sale.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0