Anything shot with a 5D4

A white-fronted bee-eater, from Botswana, captured with the 5Dmk4 and EF 400DO IS ii. I was happy to have the camera hold focus on the bird, even against the green background, as those kind of bird-in-flight against green backgrounds are some of the more difficult ones for me. Shutter speed 1/3200sec at f7.1, iso 1250. Cropped from 6720 pixels to 2493 pixels on the long side, then downsized to 1500 pixels for web. 5Dmk4 is proving to be a very good bird photography camera for me.
Cheers
Grant

Attachments

• Grant-Atkinson-Mashatu_67A9383_0102.jpg
    Grant-Atkinson-Mashatu_67A9383_0102.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0
Grant Atkinson said:
A white-fronted bee-eater, from Botswana, captured with the 5Dmk4 and EF 400DO IS ii. I was happy to have the camera hold focus on the bird, even against the green background, as those kind of bird-in-flight against green backgrounds are some of the more difficult ones for me. Shutter speed 1/3200sec at f7.1, iso 1250. Cropped from 6720 pixels to 2493 pixels on the long side, then downsized to 1500 pixels for web. 5Dmk4 is proving to be a very good bird photography camera for me.
Cheers
Grant

Great capture! I think the RGB metering system really helps.

Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
Grant Atkinson said:
Cheers
Grant
Thanks Click and Keith..
Great capture! I think the RGB metering system really helps.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Some good images here. I particularily like the bee-eater. Not an easy shot!

It might be that my 5DSR is hanging in a thin thread ... New York on Wednesday and both the 5DIV and 16-35 f2.8L II is listed as In Stock ... As you know, I have a very weak character ... ::)
I am laughing at my desk here Eldar :)..i suffer from the same affliction. I have not shot enough with my 5Dmk4 yet to have a clear idea of whether it is better than the 5DSR for wildlife, or in your case, where it would fit, in terms of pixel density for small subjects, and high iso image quality, beside your 1DX Mk 2 :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Eldar said:

It might be that my 5DSR is hanging in a thin thread ... New York on Wednesday and both the 5DIV and 16-35 f2.8L II is listed as In Stock ... As you know, I have a very weak character ... ::)

Bagsy Eldar's 5DSR if he gets the 5D MkIV ;D Seriously.

Having said that, if the rumor of the 5DS/R MkII coming in 2017 is true (which makes sense for shared components and manufacturing efficiency) and if it has the on chip ADC then I think that might be an extremely interesting camera.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Eldar said:

Bagsy Eldar's 5DSR if he gets the 5D MkIV ;D Seriously.

Having said that, if the rumor of the 5DS/R MkII coming in 2017 is true (which makes sense for shared components and manufacturing efficiency) and if it has the on chip ADC then I think that might be an extremely interesting camera.
I agree with you Scott. I have been very happy with the 5DSR and I know it's nonsense to swap. I'll do my best to behave as an adult ...

I do not need more pixles, that's for sure. However improvements on noise, DR and high ISO capabilities are always welcome.

Upvote 0
A female cheetah, Botswana, photographed with the 5Dm4 at iso 4000. Shutter speed 1/200sec at f4.0. with Canon EF 400 DO ii. Handheld. Cropped from 30mp to 17 mp, then processed from raw in ACR. Noise reduction only on the cheetah's eyes. Compared to my 5Dmk3, the new camera is significantly better in low ambient light like this. Final image downsized to 1500 pixels long side for web.
Cheers
Grant

Attachments

• Grant-Atkinson-Mashatu_67A8514_0293-2.jpg
    Grant-Atkinson-Mashatu_67A8514_0293-2.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Grant considering cropping and ISO that is excellent. I appreciate the shooting info, thanks.

Wondering if you considered adding the X1.4 rather than cropping and what you thoughts would be in that case? I presume you were at the point where you felt you had to have F4.

Jack
Hi Jack, I was impressed by the image quality, specially how low the background noise levels are. As you suspect, the light was so low that adding the 1.4x would have meant that my shutter speed dropped even lower, and I doubt I would have gotten anything sharp if that was the case.
If there had been more time available a few metres closer would have been the best as that would have blurred the background a bit more...but the cat only paused for a short while :)
cheers
Grant

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Grant Atkinson said:
Jack Douglas said:
Grant considering cropping and ISO that is excellent. I appreciate the shooting info, thanks.

Wondering if you considered adding the X1.4 rather than cropping and what you thoughts would be in that case? I presume you were at the point where you felt you had to have F4.

Jack
Hi Jack, I was impressed by the image quality, specially how low the background noise levels are. As you suspect, the light was so low that adding the 1.4x would have meant that my shutter speed dropped even lower, and I doubt I would have gotten anything sharp if that was the case.
If there had been more time available a few metres closer would have been the best as that would have blurred the background a bit more...but the cat only paused for a short while :)
cheers
Grant

Grant if you can spare a minute, I have a question. I was watching your excellent videos on the 7D2 AF setup and noted that you don't use the traditional BB focus via AF-ON etc.

One thing that got me into BB focus was the reality that the camera goes to sleep and it takes the shutter to wake it up and thus a refocus would occur, often when I already had a desired pre-focus distance set - then I'd have to redo that. This was most annoying if in a blind and pre-focused to a particular location that wasn't always an actual object (i.e. a flight path).

Any thoughts on this?

Jack

Upvote 0