Canon 1st Quarter 2024 Financials

Aug 10, 2021
Indeed :D what strikes me is the notion that if you order the 200-800 now from Adorama, you are in for a 10-month wait... unless many people drop their orders or Canon ramps up production somehow. I wonder how things are looking for other retailers? I know Adorama isn't thrilled as they would sell more right now if theyhad more to sell.

Don't even get me started on the 35! :mad: I guess we're in for an eventful second half of 2024...
Ten months seems like a long time. Hopefully, Canon will increase production. I know back at the high of the EF mount's popularity, so, I think they have to change everything more often for the various models in lenses. I have no idea how long it takes to do all that

Screenshot (380).png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Adorama does not close waiting lists. I think it'd be a bad move as it would encourage clients to look somewhere else. It does mean an overhead of course (they have to periodically charge and refund $1 on your card to keep the order "alive".

In Manhattan I always see someone with a "proper" camera. Here you can see all sorts, including Fujis, Leicas, etc. But I'd say that (unscientific observation) Canon and Sony dominate, with some Nikons sprinkled in and the rest are outliers. As you'd expect. But it has changed with time. Often I am the only one lugging a camera.
Obviously tourists use cameras less and less (if you exclude phone cameras), but in certain environments, like if you go to a wildlife observation spot, people are still sporting serious equipment. I do fashion shoots and photographers still use cameras. But when I do group fashion shoots (rarely) my Hasselblad is always a talking point :cool:
I was on vacation on a tiny island that’s basically a nature preserve, I saw a lot (>50) people with binoculars, but without a camera. That surprised me, but I also didn’t see people lugging spotting scopes on tripods.
The island next to that, which does allow cars on the ferry, did have a lot more people with cameras last year, including the stereotypical doctor looking dude with a Leica :)

Anyway, it surprised me that the cameras that I saw this week were all mirrorslappers, being around here makes me think ‘everyone’ has exhanged their dslr for a milc already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I was on vacation on a tiny island that’s basically a nature preserve, I saw a lot (>50) people with binoculars, but without a camera. That surprised me, but I also didn’t see people lugging spotting scopes on tripods.
The island next to that, which does allow cars on the ferry, did have a lot more people with cameras last year, including the stereotypical doctor looking dude with a Leica :)
There is a spot on the Hudson river north of me (40 mins drive) where birds of prey nest and any day you can see 3-6 people with pro cameras and big white (Canon) or black (Nikon) exotic long teles mounted on big tripods. I guess it's a location at close distance with some very affluent places.
It really depends where you are.
But it is also true that all the people with the big guns in that place are... not young anymore... and I do not see any evidence of a new generation chomping at the bit to take their place :cry:
Anyway, it surprised me that the cameras that I saw this week were all mirrorslappers, being around here makes me think ‘everyone’ has exhanged their dslr for a milc already.
Even if nowadays mirrorless dominate the market, the user base of DSLRs is still outnumbering them thanks to many years of higher sales. We on this and other fora, who change cameras at a whim and stay current, are a tiny minority of the population. And while many DSLRs are collecting dust thanks to phones, not many of their users are upgrading to mirrorless.
We are the new hi-fi leftovers :D

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Ten months seems like a long time. Hopefully, Canon will increase production. I know back at the high of the EF mount's popularity, so, I think they have to change everything more often for the various models in lenses. I have no idea how long it takes to do all that
Dunno really... if they do announce new lenses soon, their production capacity may be already tied up with those?
No idea.

Upvote 0