Canon’s 2023 Financials

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I don´t know if it has been posted here already, but Nikonrumors has posted the CIPA numbers for 2023. According to CIPA the total sales for 2023 were 6.001 million bodies (+1.25%), 9.639 million lenses (-0.92%). The 5,85mio estimate was pretty spot on.

View attachment 214782
Interesting that the holiday peak got a month earlier each year, but then this is shipments, not sales, so probably due to the supply chain coming back so last minute (or late) shipments were not needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Maybe some are but for the most part, the market share is brought up when people claim that Canon is bad at the camera business.
People even go so far ar claiming that Canon is about to go out of business.
Better let's redefine "poeple = trolls" in this respect. Fact is, as we Canon users all experience in other photography related threads, that all Canon topics are attracting trolls like a lamp in a summernight mots. Those guys (I am sure they are 99,9999 % male) may regard themselves as "people", but, fortunately, they represent a minority. In fact, I am pretty sure that those guys just need a valve for other personal problems they are suffering of, and the Canon brand serves them this way. So, Canon IMO has in the photo community an additional important role as a sort of mental health service.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Mostly people who want an inexpensive camera, didn’t think that needed to be spelled out but evidently I was wrong.

The camera in my phone is even less expensive and far more convenient.

Forums? Advice? LOL. These are people walking into a Walmart and buying a “real camera“.

Where's the evidence for that? Are you that person shopping at Walmart for DSLRs?

And just to be clear, when given the opportunity to provide technical reasons about why someone should buy a MILC over DSLR, you presented nothing.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Who is buying Canon DSLRs? Or any DSLRs? Which internet forums have people talkig about their new Canon DSLRs? Tiktok? Instagram?

Which stores, online or not, are showing top digital camera sales as including DSLRs?

Canon is selling 1500-2000 DSLRs a day, worldwide. These people are not buying MILC, they're buying DSLRs - a known obsolete technology.

Where are those people?
Are the details lost to noise because the individual store numbers are so low?

Does Canon provide any guidance on DSLR sales for various different geographic regions?

If it is limited to the top 40 countries by wealth, is 50/day/country unreasonable?
Good questions. As an example, I learned recently, that Angela Jimu, the co-founder and director of the Zimbabwe Association of Female Photographers (ZAFP), recently upgraded from her EOS 500D/Rebel T1i with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens to an 850D / Rebel T8i with the Mk II version of this lens (see link at the bottom). A gifted photographer with a good eye and lot of imagination can work successfully with even a much "cheaper" gear than this one. I have a lot of respect for those photographers in poorer countries who create great images with a very limited budget, and such DLSRs are a great offer - they provide really good IQ since the past decade.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The camera in my phone is even less expensive and far more convenient.
Good for you. The >1.1 million DSLRs shipped last year tell a different story.

Incidentally, my iPhone 14 Pro cost more than a pair of entry-level DSLRs. Maybe you just have a really cheap camera phone.

Where's the evidence for that?
The average unit price of DSLRs produced makes it clear most are entry level, and most of them shipped to the Americas and Europe, not the developing world. Walmart? No idea, really, but it would seem those buying them are budget-conscious, first-world consumers…a segment typified by Walmart shoppers.

Are you that person shopping at Walmart for DSLRs?
No, are you? The last DSLR I bought was a 1D X in 2012. I doubt Walmart carried them.

And just to be clear, when given the opportunity to provide technical reasons about why someone should buy a MILC over DSLR, you presented nothing.
Wow, you can read. Impressive. Why do you believe entry-level DSLRs need a technical advantage over MILCs?

Just to be clear, my point is that they don’t. The lower cost is all the advantage needed. I implied that before, apparently you read that but failed to draw the logical conclusion.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Good questions. As an example, I learned recently, that Angela Jimu, the co-founder and director of the Zimbabwe Association of Female Photographers (ZAFP), recently upgraded from her EOS 500D/Rebel T1i with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens to an 850D / Rebel T8i with the Mk II version of this lens (see link at the bottom). A gifted photographer with a good eye and lot of imagination can work successfully with even a much "cheaper" gear than this one. I have a lot of respect for those photographers in poorer countries who create great images with a very limited budget, and such DLSRs are a great offer - they provide really good IQ since the past decade.

I love stories like this! Are there enough of these situations to sell 1500 cameras a day around the world?

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I love stories like this! Are there enough of these situations to sell 1500 cameras a day around the world?
no idea, but we are now more then 7 billion people on this planet. So I think this is a drain big enough to swallow 1500 DSLRs a day, I guess. This is nothing compared to the smartphone market. If you would shoot all smartphones to the moon, earth would lose a considerable part of its mass ;)

Upvote 0
Who is buying Canon DSLRs? Or any DSLRs? Which internet forums have people talkig about their new Canon DSLRs? Tiktok? Instagram?
Canon is selling 1500-2000 DSLRs a day, worldwide. These people are not buying MILC, they're buying DSLRs - a known obsolete technology.

Love the click bait post!
The cruise photo niche is a classic example of lowest cost of production for portraiture with decent lights and no need for high end AF.
Simple/reliable DLSR (call it obsolete if you want) technology with long battery life is all that they need and squeezing every cent is their remit. They may even be using live view to save the cost of replacing shutter boxes but looking through the viewfinder is a sign of a professional photographer :)
They will buy Canon or Nikon whichever is cheaper.
Done ~30 cruises so far and will do a couple at the end of the year. I will report if they have made the move to MILC or not but I suspect they haven't.
At some point MILC will be cheaper than DLSR. Until then - and as long as there is reasonable margin - then Canon/Nikon will keep making them.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
The cruise photo niche is a classic example of lowest cost of production for portraiture with decent lights and no need for high end AF.
Simple/reliable DLSR (call it obsolete if you want) technology with long battery life is all that they need and squeezing every cent is their remit. They may even be using live view to save the cost of replacing shutter boxes but looking through the viewfinder is a sign of a professional photographer :)
Done ~30 cruises so far and will do a couple at the end of the year. I will report if they have made the move to MILC or not but I suspect they haven't.
At some point MILC will be cheaper than DLSR. Until then - and as long as there is reasonable margin - then Canon/Nikon will keep making them.
Yes... and in most public offices in the US, where they take biometrics of people, they use Canon Rebel DSLRs. Updating them to R cameras is probably not high on their priority list

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
Mostly people who want an inexpensive camera, didn’t think that needed to be spelled out but evidently I was wrong.
No, pretty obvious unless someone is desperately trying to make some silly point. I am continually amazed at how so many forum users think they are typical camera buyers.
At Amazon USA, right now, Best selling Digital Cameras....are almost all small, cheap point and shoots, most seemingly aimed for kids, but the top selling interchangeable lens cameras are:

Canon Rebel T7 w/ 18-55 lens (#9 overall)
Canon Rebel T7 w/ 2 kit lenses (#30)
Sony ZV-E10 (#37)
Canon Rebel T100 w/ 18-55 lens (#50)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
No, pretty obvious unless someone is desperately trying to make some silly point. I am continually amazed at how so many forum users think they are typical camera buyers.
At Amazon USA, right now, Best selling Digital Cameras....are almost all small, cheap point and shoots, most seemingly aimed for kids, but the top selling interchangeable lens cameras are:

Sony ZV-E10 (#37)
I'm not sure if they really believe they are typical, because I keep noticing how often some people make mistakes that are in their side of the debate or argument's favor and when it's corrected, they either don't respond, say strawman / moot point & continue.

As you have just demonstrated, we can research these things.
I would like to say, "everyone here wants to exchange knowledge and give/receive encouragement / inspiration," but unfortunately, I am seeing something different. At least it's not as bad as reddit or facebook, yet...

Upvote 0

Sony ZV-E10 (#37)

Nice to know that someone has some useful information - this is exactly what I was looking for (not random opinions.)

Upvote 0

I think what you're talking about here is the photos that you can get taken of you while cruising by someone from the ship with a camera?

This, like passport photos at your local post office or drugstore/walmart, aren't buying new cameras every month/year.

That's what I'm curious about, where are the new ones going? Maybe there is a certain element of "buy another X to replace X that failed" from commercial operators. They'd also want to not want to go to mirrorless because compatibility/skills.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I think what you're talking about here is the photos that you can get taken of you while cruising by someone from the ship with a camera?

This, like passport photos at your local post office or drugstore/walmart, aren't buying new cameras every month/year.

That's what I'm curious about, where are the new ones going? Maybe there is a certain element of "buy another X to replace X that failed" from commercial operators. They'd also want to not want to go to mirrorless because compatibility/skills.
I'd even go a bit further.
I'm convinced that most people who buy an "entrance" camera neither know nor care about mirror or mirrorless technology.
It's just an affordable camera they often pick out of a sales-container in an electronics megastore.
If pictures are well exposed and the camera keeps working, satisfaction sets in and confirmes their choice. And this is ok, even if they usually don't upgrade or buy additional lenses.
OK for Canikon too, many little profits add up to larger sums (which finance development of our favourite toys...)

Upvote 0