Canon 2023 Q1 Financial Results

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks for posting this. I saw this on Photo Rumors the other day. He often scoops this site (even though he's a Nikon guy).

Anyway, there is a lot to digest here and it should make for some good discussion.

Some things that stood out to me:

"Strengthening the appeal of our products has led to the curbing of sale promotion expenses" Is that code for no rebates?

"...and with selection and concentration in development and raising the efficiency of our sale organization, has been the driving force behind significant improvement in profitability." Translation might be we're cutting staff.

"This year, we will continue to enhance our lineup of EOS R series mirrorless cameras, both bodies and lenses. In March, we launched the EOS R50...In addition to professional and advanced amateurs, by launching models that expand our user base, we plan to sell 2.9 million units this year, which is 1% higher than last year..." Don't expect to see an R1 this year, we are more interested in the lower end of the market.

"The network camera market continues to grow, thanks mainly to the security sector, due to the growing need for security and safety. Our first-quarter sales were ahead of plan and second only to last year's fourth quarter, resulting in a significant increase in revenue. We will continue to capture demand with our extensive lineup of hardware and solutions, raising our plan for the full year by 10 billion yen as we aim for sales growth of more than 15%." A 1% growth in EOS R vs. 15% in network cameras. Guess where the emphasis is going to be?

Charts: "Net Sales Growth Rate Year over Year: Cameras 1Q 2023 Actual is -0.4% with FY23 projection of +12%. Digital Interchangeable Lens Cameras Units and Unit Growth Rate. 1Q 2023 Actual: -6%; FY 2023 Projection: +1% Honestly, I'm a bit confused by this. They sold 6% fewer Digital Interchangeable Lens Cameras (DILCS) in the first quarter and are projecting only a 1% growth for the year. That doesn't sound great to me.

Thoughts and Discussion?

Upvote 0