Canon’s 2023 Financials

Sep 20, 2020
They can't make a legal fuss about the use of the RF mount for manual focus lenses - you can't claim intellectual property for accessories that fit on to your patented gizmo. All Canon can do is to prevent the illegal use of their communication protocols, and they can't stop genuine reverse engineering of those protocols. I don't see why there are not TC's from competitors - all they have to do is have direct contacts going the the TC, and all it would fail to do is to report the modified f-number and focal length to the EXIFs - I could live with that.
The teleconverters that I am aware of were meant to be used with lenses from the same company making the teleconverters.
I assume those will come after third-party lenses.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This is a very telling report about how ultra fans are just a minuscule piece of the market share pie. We all crap on the R100 but it’s apparently driving sales enough to call out in the results. Does that irk me? Yes. I wish they would focus on things that I want as a late-stage consumer who is ready to upgrade my 35 1.4 third-party lens to a native 1.2, and who is waiting with baited breath for the 70-135 f/2. But at the same time, I am glad that canon is strategically smart enough to focus on what will drive sales so that the company is around long enough to eventually give me what I want. Good photography takes patience and so does good gear. But also hurry the F up and make those lenses, please.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Thanks for the summary, Richard. Don't worry that this tread has gone off the rails rather rapidly. I mean, once you've said that Canon is doing just as well as they have for the past several years, rendering the bulk of the forum whining and hand-wringing about all of the things Canon has done wrong moot, what else is there to say that's on-topic?
I agree, their management proves to be quite smart. Interestingly, Canon's history was always one of seemingly conservative periods and then quite radical innovation leaps. It reminds me of the truly Japanese philosophy of taking a long time to focus on doing one thing as perfect as possible - and then do it rapidly in a sort of explosive flow. It's like Kyūdō, the Japanese art of archery.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Besides its camera business, Canon seems to really push forward, too. What really amazed me is their new nanoimprint tech for silicon chip production. They really challenge ASML's leading EUV (extreme ultra-violett) lithography if they can etablish it on this special market. W/o ASML, chip manufacturers such as TSMC couldn't make 3 nanometer structures. This is of course not the camera market, but it shows how innovative Canon as whole company is. I am impressed.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I can't remember anyone saying anything to the effect of, "they can do no wrong." It's very different from, "they are doing the best they can." Hopefully, we all know realize that. Whether they make a 35mm F/1.2 or not, either Roby or someone else is going to be unhappy, but do you consider if it is as gloomy as you sometimes hint at, then maybe Canon needs to keep third party A/F at arms length until they can stabilize themselves economically?

There are various posters here that are effectively asserting Canon's shit is gold because Canon has a 50% marketshare so therefore nothing Canon does stinks because people wouldn't buy Canon otherwise. Or in other words, the typical justification of Canon being holier than thou is "Canon has 50% of the market, therefore Canon is right and everything Canon has done is right because they've maintained that."

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
There are various posters here that are effectively asserting Canon's shit is gold because Canon has a 50% marketshare so therefore nothing Canon does stinks because people wouldn't buy Canon otherwise. Or in other words, the typical justification of Canon being holier than thou is "Canon has 50% of the market, therefore Canon is right and everything Canon has done is right because they've maintained that."
I believe I know who you are talking about and I can assure you if he wrote that, then he was joking. He has posted more than once about at least a couple things Canon has done that rubbed him the wrong way. My since is he is attempting to be reasonable by looking at available data while other people tend to use their emotions. He's one of the most knowledgeable posters here and you would do well to at least think about what he posts.

If those weren't his exact words, you should be ashamed of yourself for using a dishonest tactic moving whatever the topic was into territory adults should avoid. However I've become accustomed to people on the internet doing such things, including someone who appeared to intentionally ignore the word, "almost" and respond as if I was an idiot - apparently for no point other than to argue. When I pointed out a number of things s/he did not think about or ignore, making his or her argument incorrect, he or she called me a jerk ending the reply with, something like, "if I'm wrong, I apologize," which I believe I already proved on the previous reply. I'm quite sick of this kind of this annoying and childish BS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Maybe some are but for the most part, the market share is brought up when people claim that Canon is bad at the camera business.
People even go so far ar claiming that Canon is about to go out of business.

Upvote 0
Who is buying Canon DSLRs? Or any DSLRs? Which internet forums have people talkig about their new Canon DSLRs? Tiktok? Instagram?

Which stores, online or not, are showing top digital camera sales as including DSLRs?

Canon is selling 1500-2000 DSLRs a day, worldwide. These people are not buying MILC, they're buying DSLRs - a known obsolete technology.

Where are those people?
Are the details lost to noise because the individual store numbers are so low?

Does Canon provide any guidance on DSLR sales for various different geographic regions?

If it is limited to the top 40 countries by wealth, is 50/day/country unreasonable?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Who is buying Canon DSLRs? Or any DSLRs?
Compare the cost of the lowest priced MILC kits to the lowest priced DSLR kits.

These people are not buying MILC, they're buying DSLRs - a known obsolete technology.
Obsolete technology like the internal combustion engine. But gas-powered cars still get people from point A to point B, and DSLRs can still take good pictures.

Upvote 0
Compare the cost of the lowest priced MILC kits to the lowest priced DSLR kits

Nice comment but it isn't an answer to my question(s) about who is buying DSLRs. What's the target market? What forums are the buyers on? Where are they getting their advice?

Obsolete technology like the internal combustion engine. But gas-powered cars still get people from point A to point B, and DSLRs can still take good pictures.

Who can't resist a car analogy? There are still pros/cons with both ICE & EV. Why would you recommend someone buy a DSLR? Could you do that without justifying it based on cost? What technological advantage does a DSLR have over modern MILC?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Who is buying Canon DSLRs? Or any DSLRs? Which internet forums have people talkig about their new Canon DSLRs? Tiktok? Instagram?

Which stores, online or not, are showing top digital camera sales as including DSLRs?

Canon is selling 1500-2000 DSLRs a day, worldwide. These people are not buying MILC, they're buying DSLRs - a known obsolete technology.

Where are those people?

Does Canon provide any guidance on DSLR sales for various different geographic regions?

If it is limited to the top 40 countries by wealth, is 50/day/country unreasonable?
The Rebel T100/4000D is Canon's cheapest camera.
I still see it for sale at Walmart. Target, and Best Buy.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Nice comment but it isn't an answer to my question(s) about who is buying DSLRs. What's the target market? What forums are the buyers on? Where are they getting their advice?
Mostly people who want an inexpensive camera, didn’t think that needed to be spelled out but evidently I was wrong.

Forums? Advice? LOL. These are people walking into a Walmart and buying a “real camera“.

Why would you recommend someone buy a DSLR? Could you do that without justifying it based on cost?
I don’t need to. They sell. That’s all the justification needed. The Yugo sold, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl

Where are those people?

Your own explanation (see here) was “Yay Canon, favored camera by communists and terrorists. That'll have kept the sales numbers high.”.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon

Where are those people?

Probably two obvious kinds of customers. Those at entry level who never frequent forums (or maybe even the Internet) and those for whom a week or two of battery life at moderate usage is important. I can think of a number of professions in that second group who wouldn't even want you know that they owned a camera. It is reasonable to believe that sales to militaries almost anywhere on Earth are confidential and not publicly reported. It has been wisely said here a number of times that Canon knows more about the camera market than those of us tapping on keyboards (or the complete maniacs getting thumb cramps) :ROFLMAO:.

Upvote 0